Ugh... Seriously?!? Piss Poor Memory Management in New MFT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ugh... Seriously?!? Piss Poor Memory Management in New MFT

Oh my. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I have had it for over 2 weeks and no bugs or slow down to report. Just to stir the pot some.... I see its the same people on here posting problems. Jrmexplorer, Wickedz, gdecamp etc.... maybe you guys have bad units and it's not the update. Sometimes its the actual computer and not the software. I'll be put my helmet on now, as I have seen the results of asking questions on here result in witty retorts, rants and verbal barrage. Just kidding. Lol

I appreciate the thought but given the negative professional reviews in the automotive, tech and consumer reporting publications and the precipitous drop in Ford's customer satisfaction numbers after MFT, I think it is more than just a few bad units.

Personally, I had a ton of problems starting one month after I got my Explorer (pre-big-update: nav didn't work well, bluetooth audio didn't work more than 50% of the time, USB audio would cut out often (bluetooth audio and USB with iPhone 3GS and then 4S)). If I just used it for radio and climate control, I would have had no problems.

Post big update/ knock on wood/ everything is working well except for a few minor bugs. Sometimes bluetooth audio won't start from touch screen and I have to use steering wheel buttons to get it started. Using voice commands to get a street address finally works on nav but if you use the voice prompts following this to set as destination, it loses everything (pushing set as destination button on touch screen works though).

I am waiting for a month of solid use of the new updated MFT (about how long it took for my Explorer when new to start having a ton of MFT problems) but if these are my only problems, I will be very happy with FORD and the system. I can live with the Fisher Price interface for something that is stable and whose features work consistently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh my. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I have had it for over 2 weeks and no bugs or slow down to report. Just to stir the pot some.... I see its the same people on here posting problems. Jrmexplorer, Wickedz, gdecamp etc.... maybe you guys have bad units and it's not the update. Sometimes its the actual computer and not the software. I'll be put my helmet on now, as I have seen the results of asking questions on here result in witty retorts, rants and verbal barrage. Just kidding. Lol

I've had some pretty good luck with version 2.11 - most of the time things worked just fined. I had some issues when I originally got it, but then things settled down. Hopefully this is just the case here, however, I'm not encouraged - and Ford's response to the member posted above is not acceptable.

If it is hardware and not software, Ford is refusing to fix it.. From the beginning Ford was unwilling to do anything with the car until this update came out.. so 9 months they have been refusing service on MFT, and now the update comes out, and it's still plagued with problems, and they are telling me that it's fine. I've taken video of the issues, the tech's say it's just bad software.

Like I told the service director at my dealership.. I LOVE the explorer, I just wish I had got one w/out MFT. I could have put in an aftermarket system with Navi that outperformed this for the same amount of money. MFT is great in theory, it just doesn't work.

Post big update/ knock on wood/ everything is working well except for a few minor bugs. Sometimes bluetooth audio won't start from touch screen and I have to use steering wheel buttons to get it started. Using voice commands to get a street address finally works on nav but if you use the voice prompts following this to set as destination, it loses everything (pushing set as destination button on touch screen works though).

Enough said... They spent over a year on the update, and many of the bugs that were present before it, are still present. It's unacceptable.

If it is hardware and not software, Ford is refusing to fix it.. From the beginning Ford was unwilling to do anything with the car until this update came out.. so 9 months they have been refusing service on MFT,

Ditto right to the letter with my shop....I am being patient yet expressing my disgust. I am still hopeful but my future will not be one of pulling fuses and battery cables. If I wanted to do that I would have gone to mechanics school! :D

Ditto right to the letter with my shop....I am being patient yet expressing my disgust. I am still hopeful but my future will not be one of pulling fuses and battery cables. If I wanted to do that I would have gone to mechanics school! :D

I'd even have less of a problem with that if the fuses were in a location that made it possible for a normal person to get to.

I appreciate the thought but given the negative professional reviews in the automotive, tech and consumer reporting publications and the precipitous drop in Ford's customer satisfaction numbers after MFT, I think it is more than just a few bad units.

This comment is more in line with the older version I take it. I personally know about 8 people ( co workers family and people around my neighborhood that own explorers. We have all had the update and the only glitch any of us has had is bluetooth with the phone. One person. I would be interested in seeing an overall performance of the new update. I'm not saying there aren't people out there with problems. I just can't understand why I and several other people have not had any problems with navigation or any other facet of MFT. I use it alot. I'm in my Ex over 6 hours a day and use Navigation all the time. None of us have experienced system slow down or any of the other things being reported on here. Hence, my thoughts on bad units. I use voice control all the time. Instantaneous response. Strange that some work flawlessly and others have an abundance of problems. My friend even uses his I phone with no problems except for the known ones that are posted on the sync site. Weird indeed.

This comment is more in line with the older version I take it. I personally know about 8 people ( co workers family and people around my neighborhood that own explorers. We have all had the update and the only glitch any of us has had is bluetooth with the phone. One person. I would be interested in seeing an overall performance of the new update. I'm not saying there aren't people out there with problems. I just can't understand why I and several other people have not had any problems with navigation or any other facet of MFT. I use it alot. I'm in my Ex over 6 hours a day and use Navigation all the time. None of us have experienced system slow down or any of the other things being reported on here. Hence, my thoughts on bad units. I use voice control all the time. Instantaneous response. Strange that some work flawlessly and others have an abundance of problems. My friend even uses his I phone with no problems except for the known ones that are posted on the sync site. Weird indeed.

Does your phone do texting? Just curious as I'm wondering if that maybe causing some of my issues. I know in 2.11 when I was trying to get texting to work on my Droid X that it was causing all sorts of issues. I've been using it in the new version and the texting part works, but perhaps its fouling up other areas.

I should add that I'm not ruling out hardware, but I just don't have enough information to suppose that it is hardware at this point. I don't have a lot of free time to be visiting dealers to have them tell me that there is nothing they can do for me so I'm going to wait and see what happens. Right now it's working great after a master reset (but I've done that twice now as well as a few fuse pulls) but time will tell. Dealers generally wont replace your hardware unless they can reproduce the problem themselves. Even videos aren't good enough according to Ford CS reps on these boards. The problems are too intermittent to be consistently reproducible and generally clear on their own through rebooting.

Yes my phone has text ability. I read a previous post on here about the ATRIX so I got one. Works great.

Yes my phone has text ability. I read a previous post on here about the ATRIX so I got one. Works great.

Test something out for me would you? Add three wallpapers, then delete the middle one - take a video if you can! I'd like to know if this wallpaper issue is unique to me, or affects everyone else.

On my system there is always a blank line in the wallpaper list and deleting the middle wall paper in the list creates a second blank line, which initially displays nothing in the preview and then each will display the last previewed wallpaper.

If yours works fine, maybe I'll try and reload the software or have the dealer do it.

Some evidence that this is likely a software issue

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348806

Watch the video - its from a dealer (and not even in an Explorer). Watch as he begins before adding a photo - there is an item without a name in the list (blank box - which is a bug). Then he adds a bunch of pictures and now suddenly there are two blank boxes. BUG.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348806

Watch the video - its from a dealer (and not even in an Explorer). Watch as he begins before adding a photo - there is an item without a name in the list (blank box - which is a bug). Then he adds a bunch of pictures and now suddenly there are two blank boxes. BUG.
Sounds like they should have eliminated this "feature" from MFT. While someone somewhere thought it was cute, it has caused more problems than what it's worth.

test something out for me would you? Add three wallpapers, then delete the middle one - take a video if you can! I'd like to know if this wallpaper issue is unique to me, or affects everyone else.

On my system there is always a blank line in the wallpaper list and deleting the middle wall paper in the list creates a second blank line, which initially displays nothing in the preview and then each will display the last previewed wallpaper.

If yours works fine, maybe i'll try and reload the software or have the dealer do it.

bug

Not really that big of a bug. A bug none the less. I had a little glitch last night. My phone rang while I was listening to Sirius. When I hit the steering wheel buttton to accept it the radio switched to AM. When I tried to get it back to Sirius after the phone call was over I couldn't do it by pressing the buttons on the screen. I had to use the steering wheel controls. It's been fine ever since. So it's looking like software afterall. Time will tell. It's too early. Has been working the same since that one glitch. Hope it's not a precursor.

My friend's Edge has the mysteriously blank button on the wallpaper menu also. Noticed it when we were messing around with the settings.

Not really that big of a bug.

Thanks for verifying it is not my hardware.

And you're absolutely right that its not that big of a bug. My software has been perfoming well since my Master reset over this issue. Pretty much in line with the video you posted earlier. (crossing my fingers)

In software, there will always be defects, but this an obsurdly obvious bug (and an embarrasing one at that for Ford) that takes about 3 minutes of testing to notice and another three minutes to figure out how to reproduce.

Another reason they should have let us beta test first (as we were asking to do - although one could make the case that we are beta testing it).

Lets hope this is one of those "whoops" bugs that somehow managed to escape testing and coding - but are not indicative of overall quality - lets hope.

I'm going to PM Rebecca to see if I can get some answers and to make sure this gets reported to Ford.

Took the car in (again) to the dealer this weekend... explained that MFT is still freezing and rebooting regularly.. pointed them to my youtube vid. After talking w/ Ford they were instructed to replace the APIM, that should be in this week or so, but I've now had my car at the dealer a ridiculous amount of times. in the past few weeks.

Your problem was definitely the APIM. The software problem some are having wouldn't directly affect the navigation system. Minor glitches such as the ones jrm brought up with the pictures and such are minor issues. I still think those having major freezes and reboots is the APIM. Time will tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has been well over two weeks now and besides one minor glitch no problems to report.

Back