• Register Today It's free!

Uneven rotor wear

twigfield

Reaction score
City, State
Hagerstown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 explorer with 260,000. I have replaced brake pads about eight times and rotors a couple of times. For the last year I have had soft pedel. Truck stops OK but not great. Previoulsy I have bled lines and replaced vacumm booster. No help. Later, I noticed my rotors are only wearing on the outside edge of rotors (both sides-not pad sticking). The interior of both sides of rotor (area closest to center hole) is rusted and has flaking metal. I replaced pads and rotors and no improvement. Could it be that my calipers have spread so that the pads are not hitting rotors parrallel? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the uneven wear. Pad wear is even on outside and inside pads but wear uneven from top of pad to bottom. Thanks for input.

Sounds like it could need new caliper slide pins. The kit is about $30 if i recall correctly.
If that does not correct the problem, replace the calipers. The kit is the bolts the caliper slides on and the rubber boots that go on the caliper.

the master could have a slight internal leak causing a bit of a soft pedal. I don't know if you replaced it with the booster.

Back