Upgraded B&O System Sound Quality... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded B&O System Sound Quality...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To OP: I echo your findings. The stock stereo "EQ" is very fat in the midrange, it's so boomy and muddy, drives me nuts. I'd like to find Fords Audio Engineer and smack them upside the head. There was a way to adjust "EQ Curves" in Forscan on F-150 but I haven't played with it on Explorer.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Has anyone found any way to adjust the sound quality on the upgraded system? My specific complaints are with the mid-levels...they are way too muddled for my liking. In the stereo settings, I have the Mid setting all the way down, and by Bass setting is just one click above the minimum and it still drives me nuts listening to it with any sort of volume, I think it sounds horrible.

I think the highs are crisp and clean, and the low bass is definitely solid with a clean punch...but the mid's just suck. This stereo is nowhere near the quality I had from the Sony system in my 2017 Sport.

I find it pathetic with what is supposed to be a higher-end system we are stuck with "Treble-Mid-Bass" settings...

I have turned off Surround and went with just Stereo, thinking it may take out some phony processing...but it didn't seem to help at all.
I agree with most on this post. I came from a 2013 Explorer to this and it is a-shame that new technology comes with a crappy sound system. I dislike the mid low frequencies that the bass drum is on. I have reduced the bass way down to attenuate. Someone on an earlier post mentioned the engineers took a middle ground on tuning. I think that’s a poor excuse for trying to say we have a premium sound system To fit the masses. How many head banging music lovers buy a Platinum model compared to easy listening folks.

Speakers take weeks to months to break in sometimes. My factory Kia speakers took 2 months to really break in and sound not terrible. Of course, like anyone who really enjoys music, I yanked them out and replaced them with real speakers.
Wow I never heard of speakers taking time to break in.....interesting. I'll have to do some research on that. I've purchased BOSE 901's and many others and don't recall ever seeing a break-in period.

Wow I never heard of speakers taking time to break in.....interesting. I'll have to do some research on that. I've purchased BOSE 901's and many others and don't recall ever seeing a break-in period.
After about 100 hours of use, your speakers should be broken in. The speaker surround and spider materials loosen up the more the speaker is used.
Not all speakers will sound dramatically different after break-in. Some improve only marginally, while others can change dramatically.

Peter

Well, tomorrow it goes in for further up grades. The dashboard center speaker and the lower second row speakers.
Infinity Reference center speaker alone made all the difference for me!

The B&O drivers are sadly standard Ford issue. Here's my mod that I did in conjunction with sound insulation in the door and trunk area, as well as powered sub. Overall, pretty satisfied without having to scrap the entire system.

Has anyone found any way to adjust the sound quality on the upgraded system? My specific complaints are with the mid-levels...they are way too muddled for my liking. In the stereo settings, I have the Mid setting all the way down, and by Bass setting is just one click above the minimum and it still drives me nuts listening to it with any sort of volume, I think it sounds horrible.

I think the highs are crisp and clean, and the low bass is definitely solid with a clean punch...but the mid's just suck. This stereo is nowhere near the quality I had from the Sony system in my 2017 Sport.

I find it pathetic with what is supposed to be a higher-end system we are stuck with "Treble-Mid-Bass" settings...

I have turned off Surround and went with just Stereo, thinking it may take out some phony processing...but it didn't seem to help at all.
Also turn off the speed compensation mode, will sound much better

Also turn off the speed compensation mode, will sound much better
That member likely isn't following any longer. He was last seen here in January 2023.
I've often wondered if the speed compensation actually does anything. If it does, it isn't very noticeable in any vehicle I've had.

Peter

That member likely isn't following any longer. He was last seen here in January 2023.
I've often wondered if the speed compensation actually does anything. If it does, it isn't very noticeable in any vehicle I've had.

Peter
I can definitely hear the volume ramp up with it turned on and set to High. Hadn’t really ever thought to turn it off to improve sound quality. Will try it now.

Back