Upgraded my 2008 to Nav without losing SYNC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded my 2008 to Nav without losing SYNC

rdm190

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie
So I have not posted on this site much, basic just milked it for information!

I figured I would make my first post a good one.

Background: I have a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer SIRIUS, PDC, standard radio (no sub), and SYNC. These are the important features to note when upgrading as they all need to be programed into the head unit.

I wanted the factory NAV but there was NO information on this site, or the net that I could find, about retaining the SYNC functions. Some said that you could simply plug and play a 08 Nav unit, THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE. If you just "pop in" a 08 nav unit you will loose all voice control of the SYNC system.

I bought a 08 nav unit from a great guy on Ebay who also sent me a wiring diagram to correctly install the unit.

I don't think there is a huge demand for this install so I will not go crazy with details. Basically you need to rewire the "voice" button on the steering wheel and the microphone in the mirror to go to the Nav unit, not to the SYNC module as they do from the factory. I have the wiring diagram and can help anyone that would like to accomplish this mod. Feel free to PM me.

I am 100% satisfied, Ford should have NEVER allowed anyone to buy a vehicle with SYNC and no nav screen. SYNC is useless without the screen IMHO. I am now thrilled with the Nav unit as well as the new functionality of the SYNC is the way it should have been mandatory from the factory.

Hope this helps someone,

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

definitely shoulda posted some pics of the unit installed :)

definitely shoulda posted some pics of the unit installed :)

I will take some pictures in the morning if there are any particular requests.

I forgot to add in my first post. I saw some concern on this forum over adding an Audiophile Nav head unit to a non Audiophile system. The concern revolved around bass output.

While the Nav unit does have an internal crossover, and I did lose a little low end base, I was able to dial in a a good balance and can't really tell the difference anymore.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to anyone, this was a great upgrade.

-Ryan

Sent you a PM. 09 Sun/Sync package, Sirius, single CD MP3... looking to add Navi and rear DVD entertainment. Some models allow for climate control using Sync/screen does yours do that?

Sent you a PM. 09 Sun/Sync package, Sirius, single CD MP3... looking to add Navi and rear DVD entertainment. Some models allow for climate control using Sync/screen does yours do that?

I responded to you PM. Mine was an 08, so it is a different system then the one you need.

I gave you details to the ebay seller as he does have units for the 09+ available.

-Ryan

Would love to get my hands on that wiring diagram you got.

Hi Ryan,

I did the same thing but lost my voice control. Would love to know what needs to be done. Thanks.

Hi Ryan,

I did the same thing but lost my voice control. Would love to know what needs to be done. Thanks.

The re-wireing I did solved the voice control issue. I will try to capture the wiring diagram I have and get it up here. You need to rewire the mic and "voice" button to the head unit, not directly to the SYNC unit.

I will work on this tomorrow.

-Ryan

Thanks. Looking forward to this.

Still looking forward to this please :)

As am I. Can pm my email if you dont wanna post it.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.

The diagram I have is specific for the harness that was included with the unit I bought, but I will try to break down the wiring for you guys.

This rewiring will restore lost voice function on users that "Plug and Played" an 08 Nav radio with SYNC into a non Nav 08 explorer. This DOES NOT cover 09+, being that they have a newer nav unit.

Basically, as it was explained to me, you are rewiring the "voice" button on the steering wheel to route to the NAV unit verses the SYNC unit. You are doing the same for the microphone, sending the signal to the NAV unit, then it gets processed and sent to the SYNC module.

You will NOT regain function of the "phone connect/disconnect" buttons on the steering wheel. I was told these buttons are not functional on the FACTORY nav cars and all phone functions are managed from the Nav screen.

Please, please, please, make sure you keep an image of how your unit was wired before you attempt anything! You always want to be able to restore your radio to a original condition should something go wrong. I am not responsible for your work.

The harness that was made for me had the pins already placed and was very easy to install. One note, Ford had a mid year change on the SYNC harness connector. Once you have this connector removed you will either have a blue colored insert or a gray one. These colors represent the style of pins Ford used.

The SYNC harness connector is a bit complicated in itself, but if you take your time and use your head, I think you can figure it out. Please post any questions. The SYNC module itself is bolted to the passenger side of the center console storage bin.

My best explanation of the rewiring process.

On the SYNC side of the harness (IE. Wires exiting the SYNC unit) You must cut and cap off wires originating from pins #15 and #14. *Important cap off the ends coming FROM the SYNC unit* Or, you can remove these wires from the harness altogether, this is what I did.

Now you need to deal with the other ends of these wires. #15 needs to be taped and sent to the head unit harness. #15 needs to plug into pin #16 on the main radio harness (IE. the larger of the two radio harnesses) #14 needs to also be taped and sent back to the radio harness, but in pin number #17 of the main harness.

The next three wires need to be physically added to the SYNC harness itself (IE. they are not present in the non NAV setup) You need to add three wires to the SYNC harness to pins #12,#13,#29.

#29 is the easy one. It simply needs to be spliced into #15 from the first set of connections I mentioned. In other words #29 from the SYNC harness needs to go to pin #17 of the main radio harness.

The new #12 wire you have added to the SYNC harness needs to be pined into #11 on the secondary radio harness (the smaller of the two harnesses)

The new #13 wire you added to the SYNC harness needs to be pined into #12 on the secondary radio harness.

I hope this helps. Please post any questions. I feel I have a pretty good understanding of this modification and if I failed to communicate it, I can try harder!

-Ryan

Attempted this today and....

Have a '08 with Sync. Added the '08 nav with Sync (Unit actually came from an Edge). Everything works. Nav, Sync, etc etc. The 'voice' and 'phone' button on my steering wheels did not. So I can no longer use my voice control. I changed the switches on my steering wheel, still no dice. I've been using this for about 6 months now. Doesn't make much sense to rewire the mic because people can still hear me when I'm on a call. Anyway, pulled everything apart today but could not find the right pins or figure out how to access the wires from the connector.

Here's where it gets weird... So I plug everything back in, start the car... My nav system says Installing English from Disc or something like that... Weird, never seen that before. It powers up and voice button on the steering wheel works. I can make calls, control my audio... SWEET! But I go through the nav screen and many things don't work. It's connected with my phone, but it doesn't see my phone on the screen. I cannot place calls using the screen (but can with voice). I can play songs off my USB, but the nav screen does not show the name of the song. Weird as hell.

I turn everything off, disconnect the Sync connectors in the center console and plug them back in, turn it back on, and everything's back to normal. Everything works again except for the steering wheel controls.

Can ANYONE please shed some light on this???

Obviously the head unit was able to pick up the microphone and steering wheel buttons as they worked without rewiring anything.

It seems like a software thing....

I'm hoping to do this to my 2008 Explorer Limited with Sync. Can you send me the PM as well?

Sync

Hello, I have an 08 sport trac Adrinalin. I swaped out my sync radio to an 08 ford nav radio. I have had the steering wheel R/H butons changed to the configuration where there is no OK button. Every thing works except my voice comands. I was told I need a XP patch cable's to make this work as it should. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.

iDatalink-Connec-ADS-HRN-SX-ALL01-Cable.html

this is easier

Does anyone have this wiring diagram? I tried the description, but I can now only get either the voice button OR radio controls to work. It looks like pin #16 is not used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi
I have 2008 model SYNC without NAV. Please send me PM with all the details ( including Ebay replacement NAV system ).
Thanks a lot !

Back