Upgrading audio

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
I have the premium audio system with the 6 disk CD changer. At higher volume the base falls flat, because i don't have a base. I would like to upgrade, but HAVE to keep the OEM look. That means no new head units unless they look like they are from the ford factory.

Should i upgrade my speakers? Should i try and get the JBL system ford offered? Is there a way of adding DVD audio to the current factory system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would do is replace the front speakers with some good aftermrket 6 x 8s.

Question: why are you so adamant about retaing the factory HU?

Thanks and good luck.....

it just looks right. I my whole philosphy for this truck is to kick it out as much as possible, yet still look like thats how ford made it. I'm a little **** i know :) besides the radio intagrates into the dash like no other head unit can. besides i like those big buttons that i don;t have to look at while driving.

what 6x8s are good?

Visteon is the maker of the factory units (at least for 97+) their website is www.evisteon.com maybe you can find something there that you like and would look factory.

something such as this
cd6.jpg

some good 6X8's to run off of the headunit power are the Polk DX7 and Kenwood Excelon.

if you want more bass and keep a factory look, why not get an amplified MTX Thunderform. it has a 10" subwoofer and built in amp so you dont have to find a new mounting place for the amp.

Back