Upgrading from OHV

daowen

Reaction score
City, State
Scarborough, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
All:

I have a 99 Sport with a 4.0L OHV and I would like to upgrade the engine (more guts). Will the 2 dr Sport using a 5spd trannie hold a 4.0 L OHC?

I have to hurry on this so could you please post soon?

Thanks,

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me get this straight:

You have a 4.0L OHV v6 in your truck.

You would like to install a SOHC 4.0L

It is more complicated then if it will just bolt up to your 5 speed transmission.
There is alot more to the OHV to SOHC converison then that.

The answer is maybe.
will it bolt up? It can be made to yes.
it is not as simple as taking the OHV out and putting in the SOHC.

The OHV to SOHC conversion is possible, but you should be using the SOHC transmission as well. You will also need the computer, wiring, exhaust, mounts, PATS module. etc....

This is a very involved conversion, almost as involved as a V8 drivetrain conversion

Hope that helps you in some way, bascially unless you are used to doing this sort of conversion you are better off selling one truck and buying one with the engine in it you want.

you can't upgrade from the ohv...it's the best engine put in an explorer!

If you truely want more guts then get a 2nd gen with a v8 (junk yard jewl) and swap everything to yours. An SOHC swap is just as difficult and expensive.

i dont know about the OHV being the best engin put in x's, i have had both and like the SOHC a lot more. But i do agree with CodePoet on the fact that you should just find a cheap v-8 X and swap it. I mean if you are going to swap it why not swap a v-8.

Explorer #2, you will find that most people who own the OHV's are fiercely loyal to them. I know I am.

They exemplify toughness, durabilty and are the workhorse that many have relied upon to carry them to one hundred, two hundred, even three hundred thousand miles.

plus the OHV makes all its torque down LOW, like below 2500 RPM = suited for 4x4ing.

the SOHC is a revver, better for street and highway. Although it makes enough power to do both as well.

the OHV is a WORKHORSE, not a performance block. They LAST and are EASY to work on. the SOHC, well not so easy and the early ones had some "issues".

OK guys i am not saying that you are wrong, just having had both the OHV and the SOHC I like the SOHC, my old X had the OHV and it was almost as smooth as my mom's lexus with 50,000 miles on it while my X had over 150,000. I am not saying the OHV is a bad engine, just i like the SOHC.

and I like the 5.0L :) Its all relative! My room mate has a 02 Sport Trac and my best friends wife a 97 Limited with the SOHC. I love that engine as well, they are FAST and well suited for the heavy Explorer's. In a ranger they flat out scream even stock.

Back