Upgrading main beam bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading main beam bulbs

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I have a 2012 Limited and I’m finding the main/full beam is pretty weak I suspect the bulbs are due a change. I’m not sure exactly what I need as I’ve seen the replacements at $150 each and the reviews aren’t great. Ideally I’d like to go LED or something if possible, the xenons on the VW (same year) are waaaaayyy brighter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed mines to Sylvania bulbs XRE and i am very pleased with them.

Do you have HID or halogen lights?

HID. I have a Limited 2011.

I have a 2012 Limited and I’m finding the main/full beam is pretty weak I suspect the bulbs are due a change. I’m not sure exactly what I need as I’ve seen the replacements at $150 each and the reviews aren’t great. Ideally I’d like to go LED or something if possible, the xenons on the VW (same year) are waaaaayyy brighter.
If I recall correctly, the headlight only has a single bulb with a movable shutter for Hi/Lo beam. I don't know if you can install LED in those.

Peter

If I recall correctly, the headlight only has a single bulb with a movable shutter for Hi/Lo beam. I don't know if you can install LED in those.

Peter
Yup, you can use LED. I have these style. Recommend only going with 3 or 4 sided LED's though. The two sided ones will wreck the beam pattern

Back