• Register Today It's free!

Upper Driver's Side Ball Joint

Cory L.

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Okay, so when changing the upper driver's side ball joint on a 1998 Ford Explorer, if it has already had a recent alignment, does it need realigned after replacement of the ball joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on how worn the old ball joint is. If it had a lot of slop, they should have told you they couldn't align it with worn parts. If it's just that the boot is torn and/or the play is minimal you might get away without having to realign it.

Does it still had the original equipment upper control arm plates, or did the alignment shop install new adjustable caster/camber bolts?

It depends on how worn the old ball joint is. If it had a lot of slop, they should have told you they couldn't align it with worn parts. If it's just that the boot is torn and/or the play is minimal you might get away without having to realign it.

Does it still had the original equipment upper control arm plates, or did the alignment shop install new adjustable caster/camber bolts?

I just recently bought the vehicle and I believe the ball joint got bad after the alignment was done. I have a receipt which shows that tie rods were replaced and sway bar bushings were replaced in 2009 and it also had an alignment done. And, I have another receipt which shows that in 2013 the driver's side and passenger side lower ball joints were replaced and the passenger side upper ball joint was replaced and another alignment was done. Neither of the receipts say anything about any new adjustable caster/camber bolts being installed nor any replacement of the driver's side upper ball joint being replaced. The steering wheel still sits straight when the wheels are straight and looking at the vehicle from the front end, the wheels look perfectly straight up and down. Insofar as to how bad the ball joint is, it was the individual who did the inspection who discovered the problem and he permitted it to pass inspection so I'm presuming the slop isn't terrible and the boot still looks good.

I just recently bought the vehicle and I believe the ball joint got bad after the alignment was done. I have a receipt which shows that tie rods were replaced and sway bar bushings were replaced in 2009 and it also had an alignment done. And, I have another receipt which shows that in 2013 the driver's side and passenger side lower ball joints were replaced and the passenger side upper ball joint was replaced and another alignment was done. Neither of the receipts say anything about any new adjustable caster/camber bolts being installed nor any replacement of the driver's side upper ball joint being replaced. The steering wheel still sits straight when the wheels are straight and looking at the vehicle from the front end, the wheels look perfectly straight up and down. Insofar as to how bad the ball joint is, it was the individual who did the inspection who discovered the problem and he permitted it to pass inspection so I'm presuming the slop isn't terrible and the boot still looks good.

Well, you can always go ahead a replace it and just keep a close eye on the front tire wear. If it continues to look normal you lucked out. If it becomes obvious it needs an alignment get one done.

Well, you can always go ahead a replace it and just keep a close eye on the front tire wear. If it continues to look normal you lucked out. If it becomes obvious it needs an alignment get one done.

Alright. Well, thanks for your reply. But, let me see if I can get a better understanding. A considerably bad ball joint or the conditions which led to a considerably bad ball joint could have knocked the front end out of alignment but, just replacement of a ball joint alone (at least the driver's side ball joint), doesn't knock it out of alignment? Let's say I had an alignment and two weeks later a ball joint went bad and I replaced the ball joint. Just replacing the ball joint alone shouldn't knock it back out of alignment...right? Or, would it? I hope I'm not making things more confusing than they need to be.

Back