• Register Today It's free!

driver side ball joint is bad

dondiesel444

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
I swear it's always something with this POS. I went to get the X aligned today and the drivers side upper ball joint was shot. I replaced the passengewr side upper ball joint a few months back. On the driver side you have to replace the whole control arm. I spent a lot of money on this damn car again today. The new ball joint has a grease fitting, if only the stock ones did....

that makes 1 wheel bearing hub assmebly (that was big bucks), both upper ball joint assemblies, a EPC soilinoid for the tranny, a new (used) computer b/c the EPC solinoid shorted itself and the computer out, still have a damn CEL b/c of the stupid vent solinoid somewhere near the gas tank which I can't find, and my lower ball joints are very noisey b/c I'm sure they are dried out since you can't grease them either. I'll be replacing those soon.....

My new name for this car is the mony pit:mad: :frustrate

my exploder :shoot:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah I hear you man. It's either put money in a vehicle or ride your bike...

you sure you got that right on the ball joint? The upper control arm the whole thing has to be replaced not just on the drivers side. It's the lowers that just the ball joint can be replaced.

Get Moog replacements parts, and you will never have to worry about balljoints again.

Sorry, didn't mean to double post. Stupid internet was starting to crap out. :( Please delete this one.

I'm suprised you didn't have to replace all your ball joints at the same time, generally it's a good idea to do. If you makes you feel any better i go through explorer parts like thier candy, but i do beat my truck offroad a bit. If it makes you feel any better in the past couple of months i've replaced 1 steering rack, 1 clutch, blew the transmission output shaft, did brakes about 6 months ago and i have to do them again. swapped out my 4405e for a BW1354 manual shift but that was because my electric case was blown and i wanted a manual shift. I'm sure i'll think of a couple of other thing's i've busted and had to replace. :)

Back