• Register Today It's free!

USB for music

HOUSE D

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys so another question from the new owner of a used 2021 Ford Explorer XLT. I have a USB with my music that I use in the vehicle. It is the same one that I used in my Nissan. I had to set up folders so that it would pick the songs in the order I wanted. I had folders set up (ex: first folder is "A" second folder is "B" etc.) Those folders contain the songs. Some of the folders are dated for when I moved them from my main MP3 folder on my PC to the 2nd or 3rd when I used CD's (which I don't anymore since the Ford doesn't have a player. However when it is playing the songs it seems to be picking and choosing which songs and folders it wants to. I cannot determine the rhyme or reason as it may play a song bought a month ago and then play one bought a year ago and then back to one a month ago. Can someone explain to me how I should lay out the music on the MP3 as I like to play my newest ones first and then go back to the older ones? I didn't see anything in the owners manual. My Nissan laid out the format in the manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to get an actual USB MP3 player to work for me. It was the same with my 2015 Explorer too. Perhaps Ford hasn't quite figured it out.
I was able to put music in folders and sorted them by letter or number and it played in that order correctly. But not by date. When it is recognized, it says "MP3 Player" when selecting Source. It will play in whatever order you want. The only hassle is when you're in motion, you can't browse the device. I ended up not using any folders and sorted by name and just skipped over the ones I didn't want. On a long trip, being stuck in a loop is a pain.

I played around with the USB setup and never got it to work they way I wanted it to. Spent too much time trying to find songs. Not saying it's broke but just gave up.

I use my iPhone via Bluetooth or one of the ports USB or USB-c. I sync iTunes on a Mini PC in my home connected to sound system and It works great I always have same playlist in car as in home.

I played around with the USB setup and never got it to work they way I wanted it to. Spent too much time trying to find songs. Not saying it's broke but just gave up.

I use my iPhone via Bluetooth or one of the ports USB or USB-c. I sync iTunes on a Mini PC in my home connected to sound system and It works great I always have same playlist in car as in home.
The problem with that is I have android and they use youtube music now instead of google play music. Youtube music is awful to set up playlists. It is not user friendly at all.

The problem with that is I have android and they use youtube music now instead of google play music. Youtube music is awful to set up playlists. It is not user friendly at all.
That's too bad....

I did some experimenting and it seems it wants to play them in alphabetical order despite the track numbers. I got an app called Aimp to use for music on my phone and created a playlist. When using that through android auto it played in order of the playlist I created. Looks like I will have to load up all the music to my phone so I can order the playing of the music.

Back