Use of Lucas oil type liquids for leaks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Use of Lucas oil type liquids for leaks

home4sale2

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6
Hi, I have a small leak towards the back (by the firewall), valve cover leak. I am not losing much oil (after 3000 miles, the dipstick still showed full). I had someone take a look at it and he suggested to live with it for now because it's a very very small leak and its common. Would a product like Lucas oil resolve that issue (it's some type of a sealer and they recommend you add a quart during oil change). Do these products help or make things worse in the long run?

You could also try a high mileage type oil, they have similar additives like the Lucas fluids. It would likely be a temporary fix and may want to start looking around to see what the cost of getting it fixed or what parts are necessary to fix it yourself if you have space/tools, etc.

PCV valves can also cause oil leaks.

IF the oil leak is small, I would keep an eye on it and wipe it every so often so you don't get a build up, but a valve cover gasket is likely the final solution.

Hi Mike, I saw a b&w pic somewhere as to the location of the PCV valve on 2002 V6 explorer. I can't find it. Supposed to be towards the firewall, mid to driver side, correct? Thanks in advance.

Back