• Register Today It's free!

V-6 SOHC Engine Problems

markthenewguy

Reaction score
City, State
Matthews, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
shopping
I'm interested in buying a '96 Explorer but have heard about problems with SOHC V-6 engines (cam tensioners and broken crankshafts). Is this for real and how can I tell (VIN code??) if the one I'm interested in had the SOHC engine? Any other generic problem areas? THANKS!!!

1. 96 did not have the SOHC, the 97's were the first year for the SOHC.
2. I have a 97 SOHC and it was a lemon for many years but i've gotten the bugs worked out of it. For the most part they are very dependable engines. So far everyone else i've talked to has had no problems or just a few things here and there. The cam tensions are a recall on the sohc but i've never heard of any broken crankshafts, i'm sure there has been some cases. The only way i know for sure of what engine it is, is pop the hood and take a peek, i don't know the vin index code. I think it might be Vin X or something, i'll have to check the Haynes manual...happy hunting....

97 was the first 4.0L sohc, mines done 102k no problems with engine. Sohc has black plastic cover over injectors/inlet manifold with SOHC stamped in silver.

OHV you can see three individual intake runners and says 4.0L EFI :p

Back