V6 or V8??? What are the advantages? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 or V8??? What are the advantages?

bobbyg123

Reaction score
City, State
Duvall, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB
Hi everyone,

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I'm strongly considering purchasing a new (2004) Explorer for my travels up here in Seattle. I can make the trim level choice on my own, but I'm wondering what the key differences are between the V6/V8 engines. I won't be doing much towing, and my need for an SUV stems from my travels in rainy/snowy weather, not serious off road driving.

My questions:

1) Aside from towing, what are the key benefits of the V8?
2) How much does gas milage suffer if you choose the V8?
3) Do I honestly NEED the V8? They're pretty hard to come by in the 04 models at this point, so if not an absolute can't miss benefit, please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

I would go with the V8. From what I have read/heard there isn't that much of a difference in gas mileage.

Aside from towing, what are the key benefits of the V8?

They sound much better than any V6 (IMO) and have more torque on the bottom end than a V6.

How much does gas milage suffer if you choose the V8?

I get better mileage on my 5.0 than I did with my 4.0 OHV. Though I have never driven a 4.0 SOHC, I can imagine that it probably gets 1-2 mpg better than the V8 bone stock.

Do I honestly NEED the V8? They're pretty hard to come by in the 04 models at this point, so if not an absolute can't miss benefit, please let me know.

Since you stated that you are looking to buy one to drive through rainy or snowy weather, I don't see how you could go wrong with the V6 or the V8. As long as you can get AWD with a rear limited-slip, I don't think the engine will matter much. Either will work fine for your application.

Back