V8 Explorer OWNED by A V6!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Explorer OWNED by A V6!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!

hawks06

Reaction score
City, State
Northville, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Xlt V8
I seriously cant stand my explorer. Earlier today i was at this traffic light starting out and i had this slow semi truck about 20 or so car lengths ahead of me.... To the right of me was this Explorer looked like an 03 probably a V6 it was a lady driver :p ... so it was no threat i was just gonna leave her in the dust and keep going... Well as soon as i get on it, she floors it too.. From about 15 to 50 we were both flooring it side by side. Then she actually started to pull on me like 5 feet and i had to slam on the brakes and get behind her unless i wanted to be under the semis back tires. So by now im thinking wow, she probably had a V8 too. Then i Look and its actually a V6 i still feel sick!!!!!

I dont know if her V8 logo fell off or what, i didnt think my truck was THAT slow i know it has mushy slow shifts but Come on.... SO i think its time for my first mod or somethin. So im thinking either...

kenne Bell Switch Chip
http://kennebell.net/accessories/dualswitch-chip/dual-switchchip.htm

Kenne Bell Boost a Pump
http://kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

or the usual cold air intake. If anybody has any experience with the kenne bell things let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC, the V6's are only a couple of tenths slower to 60mph than the V8's. To me it sounds like she had a V8, but yours could need to be tuned up. Don't really know. Maybe she likes the surprise factor and took the V8 emblem off!!!

It was probably a situational-gearing/throttle issue... At that particular speed, the 4.0 was allowed to drop deeper in the gears where the 4.6 likes to hold a gear and use engine power to accelerate. My F150(5.4 3v) is the same way- it tends to hold a gear and use the torque available to gain speed while underway while my Explorer(5.0) doesn't hesitate to drop it down into 1st or 2nd.

A tune of the drive by wire and shift points could make this story come out VERY differently.

another thing to consider is that most of the V-6s have a 3.73 rear end, whereas the v-8s have a 3.55....There is not much of a horsepower difference, so at a slow roll, or dead stop she may have more torque available than you. I know my v-6 2wd eddie bower will tow more than a v-8 with a 3.55, I've never raced one though. Plus, mine has a 5 speed trans. My 02 sport only has a 4 speed trans.

The 4.6s don't like to hold a gear. They upshift any chance they get. It would definetly have to be a gear problem because our 4.6 will trounce a good many cars out there.

No1Eman said:
another thing to consider is that most of the V-6s have a 3.73 rear end, whereas the v-8s have a 3.55....There is not much of a horsepower difference, so at a slow roll, or dead stop she may have more torque available than you. I know my v-6 2wd eddie bower will tow more than a v-8 with a 3.55, I've never raced one though. Plus, mine has a 5 speed trans. My 02 sport only has a 4 speed trans.

Maybe not much of a hp between the two, but there is a significant torque difference, as well as the torque curve. He should have pulled her, not the other way around. There's either something wrong with his truck, or the lady had something up her sleeve. How many females do you know that drive V-6 Exploders that would have floored it to race another one? Only ones I could imagine doing that would be someone that has mods (SC maybe) and has fun being sneaky.
It very well could have been the possibility of different gear ratios as stated above though. But I doubt it, my in law has a V-6 Mountaineer, no way it would keep up with mine, even before the x-cal tune.

IAmTodd said:
The 4.6s don't like to hold a gear. They upshift any chance they get. It would definetly have to be a gear problem because our 4.6 will trounce a good many cars out there.

This is very true. Even so, the 4.6 has a **** ton of torque. I've driven the V8 and V6, and the 4.6 feels like a rocket in comparison, although it would be helped greatly by an improved tranny.

Back