• Register Today It's free!

vacuum octopus???

rlcrafts

Reaction score
City, State
Osceola, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 sport
I did search the site before posting this here, but didn't find an answer. I have a 91 sport and on the vacuum octopus there are 7 ports, the Haynes manual I have shows the thing and shows that the 7 ports are used, but I only have 6 in use on mine. The only one I can't tell what it is according to the Haynes manual is the ccd vacuum line--what the heck is the ccd and where might I find the vacuum line for it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CCD= Cruise control diaphram? If this is true then you need to ask your self "self does this have cruise?" and if you answer no then that is why you don't have a ccd vaccum line. If you do have cruise you should prolly find the cruise servo and hook it up.

I can take a pic of mine if you like and you can compair hose size.. :D :D

FWIW, the vacuum octopus on my '92 hs one port capped off and unused. Once you account for all of the vacuum operated accessories, if there are any ports still unused, just cap them off. A list of accessories for a '91 that I can think of off the top of my head:
Automatic transmission
fuel pressure regulator
bimetallic "door" in the air intake
hose to the HVAC vent/recirculate door
cruise control (if equipped)

Okay, I asked myself do I have cruise and yes I do, and the last time I used it, sometime last winter it worked, now I don't know cause the truck won't move. Had to have the truck towed home Wed cause it wouldn't move from the stop light, started running sluggish and would die when put in gear. Got it home and hubby and neighbor looked at it and determined it was sucking air on the octopus, so when we didn't find any loose lines they capped it off and the truck started and ran fine, but still won't move. Could not having the vacuum hooked up for the cruise cause something like this? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but..................a picture would be great if you have time. If you would rather send to my email addy that's cool also
rlcrafts1@earthlink.net Thanks!!!

mechanix said:
CCD= Cruise control diaphram? If this is true then you need to ask your self "self does this have cruise?" and if you answer no then that is why you don't have a ccd vaccum line. If you do have cruise you should prolly find the cruise servo and hook it up.

I can take a pic of mine if you like and you can compair hose size.. :D :D

I do have cruise, so I will have to see where that goes--Thanks!!!

MrShorty said:
FWIW, the vacuum octopus on my '92 hs one port capped off and unused. Once you account for all of the vacuum operated accessories, if there are any ports still unused, just cap them off. A list of accessories for a '91 that I can think of off the top of my head:
Automatic transmission
fuel pressure regulator
bimetallic "door" in the air intake
hose to the HVAC vent/recirculate door
cruise control (if equipped)

rlcrafts said:
Okay, I asked myself do I have cruise and yes I do, and the last time I used it, sometime last winter it worked, now I don't know cause the truck won't move. Had to have the truck towed home Wed cause it wouldn't move from the stop light, started running sluggish and would die when put in gear. Got it home and hubby and neighbor looked at it and determined it was sucking air on the octopus, so when we didn't find any loose lines they capped it off and the truck started and ran fine, but still won't move. Could not having the vacuum hooked up for the cruise cause something like this? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but..................a picture would be great if you have time. If you would rather send to my email addy that's cool also
rlcrafts1@earthlink.net Thanks!!!
Not having the cruise control hooked upt to vacuum shouldn't effect anything other than not having cruise control. If the engine starts and runs fine, but it won't go when put in gear, then something else is wrong -- probably in the transmission. Manual or auto tranny?

It's auto, hubby and neighbor seem to think it's the torque converter. Now to find one, none of the local auto parts places carry them. Autozone can order, but unless I'm willing to pay lots extra in shipping it won't be here til the middle of May :-(

I have never seen a torque converter just go out. I would say something inside the trans went out. Is the fluid up to the full mark and bight red/pink looking? Notice any chunks of stuff on the dipstick when you pull it out? Any kind of noises comming from the trans? Might be time for a rebuild.

I've had 3 torque converters go bad but in a f-series not my X. All 3 TC's failed while driving and were very noticable the instant when failed. You could have a faulty pump.

Back