• Register Today It's free!

Valve Cover Gaskets '03 4.0L

faco

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0
I am in the middle of this job, many thanks to all those who offered advice on http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352830&highlight=valve+cover.

After reading the nightmares and gymnastic requirements to deal with the rear bolts on the intake manifold, I decided to take advantage of a recent purchase that comes in very handy around the house http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T9CTBI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The little usb camera allowed me to guide my extension, with some work, right onto the rear intake bolts. I had the intake out in about an hour, it probably saved me three hours of cursing.
I used liquid wrench on the EGR upper nut the night before and came right off with an adjustable wrench and a few taps from a hammer.
The driver side valve cover came out with no need to mess with the fuel injector system or its electrical connectors.

I am looking at the passenger side cover and it looks as it will need to either have the fuel rail removed or some of the heater hoses. Anyone out there have advice on this....can it come out without removing either one?.

Also, once the intake was removed, there was an air bladder on top of the block. I removed it and saw a sensor screwed right to the middle of the block. Any idea what this is? Should it be replaced or is it one of those better left alone.

Overall, not bad so far, took more time cleaning the mess under the intake. She looks really clean inside with 162k miles.

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look up a knock sensor, that's about the area that Ford installs them. I'm doing work on my 94, I've decided to replace the sensors and switches that are under the intake while I'm there.

Knock (detonation) Sensor

Thanks, that is what it is. I am going to replace it, it has been there a long time and the plastic conduit protecting the wire came apart in my hands. I do not want to have to remove the intake for a long time ;)

I want to get the car back on the road by Monday so it seems I will have to get the part locally. Any thoughts on Bosch - available for 47.00 or Duralast for 42.00. I will have to wait till tomorrow to check the Ford dealer.

And what is the purpose of the air sac/pillow on the engine valley under the intake manifold?

I replaced the valve cover and upper intake gaskets on my 2002 XLS 4.0 and did not have to remove anything related to the injectors or fuel rail even on the passenger side. It takes some patient wiggling but it will come out and go back in. The "pillow" you are referring to is actually a heat shield for the upper intake. If it is in good shape put it back in. It will keep the air entering the upper intake manifold a bit cooler which in turn will make your EX happier in the long run. I found that the passenger side fender well was the easiest access to the EGR pipe.

Thanks JCR,

I was not successful without disconnecting the passenger side fuel rail. A fuel line that goes over the back of the pax side valve cover was keeping me from lifting the cover high enough to clear the rear sprocket. By removing the rail off of the injectors and disconnecting their connectors, it allowed for the fuel line to move enough up and back.
Also, the darn EGR tube was in the way - I loosen its lower nut and turn and bent it enough to give me the space. The fuel rail and cover went back on with minimal effort. I say so far this was the hardest part for me so far

I will get a Knock sensor tomorrow and put her back together....then the "lets see what is leaking game and or runs like crap" game awaits....hopefuly not. :help:

I replaced the valve cover and upper intake gaskets on my 2002 XLS 4.0 and did not have to remove anything related to the injectors or fuel rail even on the passenger side. It takes some patient wiggling but it will come out and go back in. The "pillow" you are referring to is actually a heat shield for the upper intake. If it is in good shape put it back in. It will keep the air entering the upper intake manifold a bit cooler which in turn will make your EX happier in the long run. I found that the passenger side fender well was the easiest access to the EGR pipe.

According to my local Ford dealer they refer to this as an "insulator". They also stated that the part is no longer available and that when looking it up there was a remark attached to it that stated "Not required for re-assembly."

That said, the part number is 2L2Z6N041AA and it's available from Silver State Ford for $24.

Just ordered it and will report back when / if it arrives about whether or not it's the correct part.

Back