Valve cover replacement for pcv??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover replacement for pcv???

bradks

Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
I have an '03 Sport Trac with a 4.0l in it and the pcv won't stay in the back of the LH(Drivers) valve cover. I took it to the Ford dealer today and a tech was nice enough to just look at it for me and said that the metal that the pcv screws into is prob weak and the valve cover needs to be replaced.
Any ideas as to what I can do to keep the pcv in the valve cover w/o replaceing the cover? Silicone? JB weld?? I really don't want to replace the v/c if I don't have to. Right now it's blowing oil out the back and on the exhaust and I need to take a 1000 mile road trip in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

No idea on how to fix it, but i did replace both my valve cover gaskets recently and just so you know the drivers side is very easy to replace compared to the passengers. At the most you'd need to take off the clamp on the intake tube, the 8 screws on the intake, a few miscellaneous vacuum lines, then you can replace the valve cover. At the best you might be able to do it without pulling anything off if you get tricky with some socket extensions and such.

Just so you know the job is do-able!

After i wrote this i realized yours is an 03 sport track, mines a 92 XLT, both 4L engines though they might be the same process on the valve cover.

Sorry i don't know more, good luck!

After i wrote this i realized yours is an 03 sport track, mines a 92 XLT, both 4L engines though they might be the same process on the valve cover.

totally different animals all together

i had a 03 s/t with the say type of problem you have. i tried the silicone thing as well, but didnt really work. only thing i can suggest is you try wrapping the pcv with teflon tape to build the diameter of it up, and it fit the hole i little better. its not a lift time solution, but will work for a little while

Look for hi tack permatex we call it yellow death. Its not as permanent as JB but its very strong and will handle heat and oil better and should work.

Back