• Register Today It's free!

Vehicle maintenance

Shaun c

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 FORD EXPLORER 4X4
Bought 01 explorer from family friend. 4x4 120k miles, cold a/c, oil changed on time, runs/drives great. I don't think anything else has been done tho. Planning to change fluid in:
-Front/rear differenential
-Transfer case
-Transmission & filter
-Radiator
1: Is having the radiator & cooling system flushed @ a shop worth the price?
2: I'm considering flushing transmission and radiator at valvoline instant oil change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I stay aaway from oil change centers, I do everything myself. If yyou cant do the maintanace yourself, at least go online and check your local shops and read as manyy reviews as you can.

I was reading online that they have a machine that gets all the fluid out sms that it's way better that draining and filling... But it was an oil change that said it , so. I'll take ur advice. Thanks

I don't trust oil change places to do anything. Also I don't think flushing the trans in a old vehicle is a good idea. Just do a drain and refill with a new filter on the trans. Flushing the cooling system is a pain, but I don't think it's worth the cost of having someone do it.

Also flush/replace the brake fluid, just be careful not to let the master cylinder run dry in the process or you'll have a heck of a time getting the air out of the ABS system. Flush the power steering system and refill with Mercon V. If you want to cheat, you can use a turkey baster (or transfer pump) to drain the P/S reservoir and refill it, but you'll need to do it at least 3 times to get most of the fluid changed.

You'll need a transfer pump (under $10) to do the front diff fluid because there's no drain plug and you can't get the front cover off w/out pulling the diff. If you have LSD in the rear you'll need the Ford friction modifier for the rear diff.

Brake fluid - DOT 3
Trans and P/S fluid - Mercon V
Diff fluid 75/140 full synthetic gear oil & Ford LSD additive in the rear (if LSD)
Transfer case Dex/Merc ATF
Trans filter Motorcraft or WIX
Engine oil filter Motorcraft (or better)
Engine oil Ford synthetic blend (or Mobil 1 full synthetic) 5W30
Spark plugs - Motorcraft double platinum or iridium (gap = .054)
Plug wires - Motorcraft
PCV valve - Motorcraft
Thermostat - Motorcraft

Other things you should plan on checking/doing:
Upper/Lower front ball joints, because the OE grease boots rot away
Front sway bar end links, because the bushings rot away and they also tend to break
Check your metal brake line (especially in the rear) for rust
Hoses and serpentine belt

Mysterious coolant leaks are typically caused by the plastic thermostat housing on the SOHC V6 which requires replacement.

Awesome, Thank u... That's everything I was wondering about. U must've done this stuff b4

Awesome, Thank u... That's everything I was wondering about. U must've done this stuff b4

Ah yeah, once or twice. Have you read my signature line?

How many quarts to refill transmission. Was gonna use mobile 1 synthetic atf. Was gonna use it for power steering too.

How many quarts to refill transmission. Was gonna use mobile 1 synthetic atf. Was gonna use it for power steering too.
It's going to depend whether you drained the torque converter or not. If you just drain and refill the pan, it's probably around 3 quarts. You never said which engine/transmission you have, but I am guessing it's the SOHC with 5R55E transmission. Those hold about 10 quarts, but you will never get it all out, unless you flush. How about measuring what you drained? If you drain the torque converter, only refill the pan with about 3 quarts and keep adding SLOWLY with the engine running, to let the pump suck it in, or it will all spill out through the overfill tube. Stop when it reaches the bottom hole on the dipstick. Check with the engine warmed up to normal temperature - it should be in the cross-hatched area. If not, add some more, about a cup at a time.

If you have a V6 you cannot drain the torque converter. A pan drop and filter change requires 4.5-5 qts. I would not use anything except Mercon V in the transmission and in the power steering.

On the V8 the torque converter can by drained. IIRC it takes about 12 qts to do the torque converter and the transmission and around 8 qts for just the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Again, I'd stick with Mercon V.

No how do I look at it
If you are mobile, turn your phone to landscape.

I would do a pan drop and filter change now, and in 30k, I wouldn’t do a trans flush, ESPECIALLY at a quickie change shop.

I’d also swap out the brake fluid.

Back