• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at Idle...

travlincub321

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Truck passed an inspection with minimal required work.. A few pinon seals, a new battery, thermostat housing.. Oil change and tranny service..

Good.. Im thrilled.. BUT

Sitting in the drivers seat, there is a vibration at idle... Gets slightly worse with the a/c on.... Its enough to shake the driverside mirror... You can feel it in the seat more than anything... Steering wheel not so much..

Doesn't change with IDLE and IDLE is smooth and steady at 500 rpms...

Motor or tranny mount maybe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had same issue, after replacing tranny mount, it got way better but not cured

When I was chasing a miss in the engine I swapped in another coil.
My absolutely smooth idle changed to a vibration.
I haven't changed it back yet, doing it today.

Other thing, check - clean out your idle control valve.

Edit> I just swapped the original coil back, vibration has gone.

The IAC valve is easy to get to on the SOCH (if i remember right its right dead on top of the engine)

I'd like to do plugs and wires on mine, as it has blue color spark plug wires and I can read who there made by

The IAC valve is easy to get to on the SOCH (if i remember right its right dead on top of the engine)

I'd like to do plugs and wires on mine, as it has blue color spark plug wires and I can read who there made by

Blue wires are usually NGK. That's doesn't mean the plugs are NGK though. Use Autolite or Motorcraft spark plugs. I find NGK wires are good though.

Back