Vibration/drone at Interstate speed and Deceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration/drone at Interstate speed and Deceleration

olsem101

Reaction score
City, State
Heron Lake,mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer AWD with 120,000 miles on. I have always noticed a light drone at highway speeds but it was very light have never has bothered me that much. That got worse last summer, so i went to work and replaced all of the wheel bearings/ hub assemblies. This helped a bunch. Then came the current school year with my 200 mile treks once a week. I began to notice a light vibration under acceleration, so then i replaced all of the U-joints which took care of that. Now after i did all of that, i still seem to be chasing a drone with vibration at highway speeds and upon deceleration (disengaging the cruise) a very unpleasing vibration that subsides some as the vehicle slows. The tires have about 25000 miles on them and look like brand new yet. My question is if this could be a drive shaft balance issue as outlined in the TSB 05-16-4 or something else.... Any comments about help would be appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to hear about this as well. I have a very similar issues with my 2005 Mountaineer Premier AWD.

Does anybody have any ideas??? A new driveshaft is like 400 bucks.

There are lot of Explorers that have the drone originate in the differential. Replacement of the carrier bearings and pinion bearing seems to be the fix for some. I have not seen that many people report drive shaft problems. Unless you have been off roading.

It just seems so odd that after we replaced the U-joints it got amplified.

Did you remember to match mark your yoke and shaft? I have always been taught to match mark the shaft and yoke so the balance stays original.

I dont believe that we did. That plays a big role if we didnt mark it?

Back