• Register Today It's free!

Vibration During Turns

arbita1

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
I have a 97 xlt. When I turn the wheel close to full lock I am getting a pretty severe vibration from what seems to be the front end. It only happens while the car is moving.

CV joints? Ball joints? Tie Rods?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it could be your cv-joints.

Have you had an alignment recently?

[QUOTE='97 V8]it could be your cv-joints.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to check that? I took a look at the cv boots and they look fine.

I just picked up this explorer about 2 weeks ago. So I don't know the last time an alignment was done. What is your thinking there? Tie rods improperly adjusted?

vibration like as a moaning or a grunting sound during low-speed turns (like parking)?

if so, thats usually associated with ball joints.

Well I know the ball joints are suspect because I'm getting that clunking sound when I hit bumps. I didn't see any play in the front wheels when I had it up on jack stands this weekend, but I'll have to check again.

try getting an alighnment, and change out the ball joints...if it persists then it must be cv's. when you have your tire off, spin the rotor and listen carefully (wheels turned to suspect point of sound making...wow that sounded wierd). and then trace from where the sound is coming from

If you get your alignment done at a good shop, they'll check the tie rods, CVs, Balljoints, bearings, etc. at the same time.

I normally get it done at my local dealer. But don't get balljoints done there unless you win the lottery!

Me Too

I have the same problem, but is is very severe - I just had the ball joints repllaced and I dont think that was it!!!!!! It almost seems like a steering problem???

arbita1 said:
I have a 97 xlt. When I turn the wheel close to full lock I am getting a pretty severe vibration from what seems to be the front end. It only happens while the car is moving.

CV joints? Ball joints? Tie Rods?

Any ideas? Thanks.

so I take it there is no moaning/grunting during slow turns (like when ur parking) ?

McEvolyions >> next thing i would look at are the tie rods - they are also ball joints themselves.

Actually it did happen as I was parking as well???? So speed is not a factor?

McEvoylions >> sorry that question was actually for arbita

but since you've had your ball joints replaced, and you mentioned a steering problem, next thing i would look at are the tie rods because those do wear out over time (especially if you drive over pot holes and other bumps frequently).

IZwack said:
so I take it there is no moaning/grunting during slow turns (like when ur parking) ?

I don't think there is any moaning or grunting. I'll have to check again. But it does happen during slow turns. Mostly when parking or moving in tight spaces.

It feels almost like there is resistance in the front tires. Like they are rubbing against something.

arbita1 said:
It feels almost like there is resistance in the front tires. Like they are rubbing against something.
Well assuming you're not in 4wd and you dont see scrape marks on the anti-sway bar (which would mean that a tire is rubbing against the anti-sway bar), then I'm thinking that it could be a wheel bearing.
My civic does that too ;) I should look into that sometime.

IZwack said:
Well assuming you're not in 4wd and you dont see scrape marks on the anti-sway bar (which would mean that a tire is rubbing against the anti-sway bar), then I'm thinking that it could be a wheel bearing.
My civic does that too ;) I should look into that sometime.

as Izwack said, it may well be your bearings.

I'll have to take a better look to see if there is any rubbing anywhere. I don't think so, then maybe it's wheel bearings. Anyone here ever replace those?

arbita1 said:
I'll have to take a better look to see if there is any rubbing anywhere. I don't think so, then maybe it's wheel bearings. Anyone here ever replace those?
They are quite the simple m8. the bearing hub assembly itself is held in by three bolts (15mm). the hub assembly is usually between $110-$190.

I took another look at this today, and I couldn't find anything that was obviously the problem. There is definitely a moaning or grunting noise during the turn too. It almost feels as if the front wheels are getting stuck. I'm thinking about starting with the CV joints or the balljoints.

Thought I'd update this thread. I hate when you search a thread to find a problem and you see tons of solutions, but you never find out if they solved the problem or not.

So I replaced my lower ball joints (which was a major pain in the ass). But it solved the problem. No more vibrations on turns or clunks when I hit dimps or bumps in the road.

Thanks for all your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back