• Register Today It's free!

Vibration Problems After Service

pietschu

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
So I decided that I needed new front tires for the truck and figured that while it is in the shop I'd have them check the brakes and the u-joints (had a bit of a clunk going on on downshifts into 1st gear). I also asked them to do a wheel alignment and balance the tires that were not worn out. Other than that everything was fine with no vibrations at all.

Day 1
The shop told me I needed the brakes done on the back and that the carrier bearing was worn out. They replaced the carrier bearing and the u-joints, replaced the brakes, put the new tires on the rear, moved the rear tires to the front and did the wheel alignment. They did forget to balance the old tires.

Driving home that night, I noticed a vibration at about 10 mph which got progressively worse until about 50 mph and then reduced somewhat after that (max trip speed was 60 mph). The vibration was stronger through the truck body than the steering wheel.

Day 2
I took it back and they checked the driveshaft and then sent it to another shop to have it straightened and balanced, reinstalled and test drove the vehicle (to a maximum of 30 mph). They also balanced the old tires (now on the front).

My drive home confirmed that the vibration was gone up to 30 mph. However it was back once I drove over 40 mph but now with a different feel and the steering wheel vibration was about the same as the body vibration.

Day 3
Brought it back and they have no idea what could be wrong. They are planning to put it on their dyno to test it at higher speeds (the shop is downtown).

Any ideas on what could have changed from the before service state to create the new vibrations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello

Welcome to the forums. Im in Edmonton also. check your PM box.

igiveup

The Saga Continues

Day 3 Continued
Well, they ran the truck up on a hoist and claim it is still the driveshaft. The plan is to send the truck to the shop that supposedly straightened and balanced the driveshaft last time.

So I decided that I needed new front tires for the truck and figured that while it is in the shop I'd have them check the brakes and the u-joints (had a bit of a clunk going on on downshifts into 1st gear). I also asked them to do a wheel alignment and balance the tires that were not worn out. Other than that everything was fine with no vibrations at all.

Day 1
The shop told me I needed the brakes done on the back and that the carrier bearing was worn out. They replaced the carrier bearing and the u-joints, replaced the brakes, put the new tires on the rear, moved the rear tires to the front and did the wheel alignment. They did forget to balance the old tires.

Driving home that night, I noticed a vibration at about 10 mph which got progressively worse until about 50 mph and then reduced somewhat after that (max trip speed was 60 mph). The vibration was stronger through the truck body than the steering wheel.

Day 2
I took it back and they checked the driveshaft and then sent it to another shop to have it straightened and balanced, reinstalled and test drove the vehicle (to a maximum of 30 mph). They also balanced the old tires (now on the front).

My drive home confirmed that the vibration was gone up to 30 mph. However it was back once I drove over 40 mph but now with a different feel and the steering wheel vibration was about the same as the body vibration.

Day 3
Brought it back and they have no idea what could be wrong. They are planning to put it on their dyno to test it at higher speeds (the shop is downtown).

Any ideas on what could have changed from the before service state to create the new vibrations?

have them put truck on stands under axles so that drive line angles remain the same as on the road.Slowly run it in gear up to the speeds that were causing vibration , observe wheels for runout and hop, if your rig has aluminum wheels and they didn't take off corrosion before remounting that could create a problem. Also has drive shaft phase been double checked.

Back