• Register Today It's free!

Vibrations in the Steering Wheel

Jason76

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4
I need help with how my 96 Explorer 4x4 is driving. From 30 mph up to highway speeds there is a bad vibration in the steering wheel.

Had the tires rebalanced, had the alignment checked but they were not able to do the work because the upper ball joints need replacing. Could this be causing the crappy ride.

One friend suggested that my wheel bearings were on their way out but the guy at the shop felt they were in good shape because they were not making any noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My dad thought that there might be a problem in the engine/transmission, but other than the vibrations the transmission shifts and runs fine. All other suspension parts are in good shape.

Help needed. Thank you all in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Failed ball joints can certainly cause poor ride quality. If you know they need doing, don't wait! Get the Moog problem solver control arms so you can just change joints down the road, plus you'll have new uca bushings.

But would the ball joints create vibrations at highway speed?

Need some help anyone out there?

Yes bad ball joints = vibration at highway speeds. Like stated above get them replaced before its to late :wavey:

Yes bad ball joints = vibration at highway speeds. Like stated above get them replaced before its to late :wavey:

+1, do it now.

Alright, new ball joints upper and lower. Realignment and new tires. Highway speeds are better, but there is still vibration from 35 mph to 50 mph. Any ideas.

It does feel better with the new ball joints on it, but frustrated at all the work that's been done and there is still a rough ride.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Back