IAmThor

Reaction score
City, State
Le Mars, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0
Callsign
Hillbilly
Okay, so I decided I was going to decode the VIN on my 1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer and I used both the decoder on this forum and a VIN decoder off the internet and I got different info. Here's the info from the internet decoder: http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/1fmdu34xonua76747

It says I've got the modular 4.6 but I am aware that v8's weren't factory equipment in the first gens. So what do y'all think about this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What sucks is that the dealers can't help out, as their systems only go back to 96.

"X" is the code for the 4.0 OHV. Eighth digit. Even if you look for a new engine from an auto parts store online, it'll pull up the 4.0 OHV and say something about the VIN code being "X".

Ran my vin, it also says I have the 4.6L. Says further down that I have a manual transmission and 4200 horsepower. Sweet, I didn't know that :D

I manually decoded my VIN using the decoder under the "specifications" section on the forum and I got that its a 4.0L V6 ohv but I didn't find anything about whether it was an automatic or standard transmission

I have 4400 horsepower, it told me! Sweet!

What makes you wonder? I'd put money on it leaving the factory as an automatic. Never seen an EB with a stick. Not saying it never happened, but it seems very rare.

What makes you wonder? I'd put money on it leaving the factory as an automatic. Never seen an EB with a stick. Not saying it never happened, but it seems very rare.

The unicorn I call them (gone in 60 seconds wording) is a manual transmission Eddie does exist in 2door format. I have seen one for sale in the last 4 years.

Okay, so I decided I was going to decode the VIN on my 1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer and I used both the decoder on this forum and a VIN decoder off the internet and I got different info. Here's the info from the internet decoder: Car report for 1FMDU34X0NUA76747 VIN number

It says I've got the modular 4.6 but I am aware that v8's weren't factory equipment in the first gens. So what do y'all think about this?

Hi, where's the decoder on this forum that you refer to?
I'm looking for all the tech specs for my 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer, and the VIN decoders I find online give me wrong info!
I wonder if there are any online VIN decoders that are known to give only accurate info.
Thanks in advance!

What sucks is that the dealers can't help out, as their systems only go back to 96.

"X" is the code for the 4.0 OHV. Eighth digit. Even if you look for a new engine from an auto parts store online, it'll pull up the 4.0 OHV and say something about the VIN code being "X".
As I write this, now in June 2020, dealers' AND Ford's systems don't even go back to 96 :-/
I'm looking for all the tech specs for my 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer, and the VIN decoders I find online give me wrong info!
I wonder if there are any online VIN decoders that are known to give only accurate info.

I manually decoded my VIN using the decoder under the "specifications" section on the forum and I got that its a 4.0L V6 ohv but I didn't find anything about whether it was an automatic or standard transmission
Where is this "specifications" section on this forum? I'm not finding it.

Back