• Register Today It's free!

Vin number only 11 digits

Alvaro José Díaz

Reaction score
City, State
Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer XLT
last year I bought a Ford Explorer XLT 1997, now I have to change the canister evap purge valve and to buy the correct part the supplier ask me to send the vin number of my truck, I know that the normal VIN is 17 digits but I checked the door sticker and the windshield and my vin number is only 11 digits so the supplier cannot identify my exact model, somebody could help me telling me how can I identify my explorer exact model to buy the correct spare parts? Thanks in advance for your help, the vin of my truck is AJU3VP38538

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last year I bought a Ford Explorer XLT 1997, now I have to change the canister evap purge valve and to buy the correct part the supplier ask me to send the vin number of my truck, I know that the normal VIN is 17 digits but I checked the door sticker and the windshield and my vin number is only 11 digits so the supplier cannot identify my exact model, somebody could help me telling me how can I identify my explorer exact model to buy the correct spare parts? Thanks in advance for your help, the vin of my truck is AJU3VP38538
This is definitely not a US VIN. In fact, it does not seem to be any valid VIN at all. Just out of curiosity, do you know the history of this vehicle? Nevertheless, it should be enough to provide the engine (V8, V6 OHV or V6 SOHC) and model year to the parts supplier to identify the valve that you need.

Hi, i have the same issue, im in ecuador so i assume the explorer i have was built in venezuela, still trying to figure out what engine it is, ive also looked behind the block for a serial number but nothing. Its a 97 xlt sohc

^ What do you mean that you're "still trying to figure out what engine it is"? You just identified the engine as a SOHC which is the 4.0L V6. You can pull the valve and see if there is a part # on it or go somewhere like Rock Auto and see if what they have pictured looks like yours, including the mounting holes and electrical connector style:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

The thing is i want to rebuild the engine but when i search for a kit it says it for vin e, k, x... i want to make sure i get the right one. I have the engine out and cant find any vin or code on the block

^ Code E is the regular SOHC 4.0L. K is the E85 compatible flex fuel version. I don't know how to visually identify that. Some kits might even be the same for both of those. X is the older OHV 4.0L, not SOHC.

Back