Water pump leak & replacement - Is there a good "how to"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump leak & replacement - Is there a good "how to"?

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
After 207,000 miles, I finally have the occasional coolant drip from front center on the engine. Holds pressure fine, so I am surmising the water pump is in the early stages of giving up. Does this match any of your experiences, or could it be something else? I have already done that damned thermostat housing replacemnt crap.

It does not look to hard, any good tips, tricks, or a thread with good directions? Your experiences? Waiting for the weather to be warm enough too.

Many Thanks in advance!

This video is nicely done. 1995 Ford Explorer Waterpump Repair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2HRnhpExqA
At that mileage it very well could be.
Check the "weep hole" for leaking. If it is, the water pump is failing/has failed/broken impeller fins. Replace ASAP. You can overheat your engine if it fails completely.
Can you feel coolant running though the upper hose when truck is at operating temp? Temperature gauge reading normal?
I would suggest to do a coolant pressure test. (You may be able to rent these. Not sure.) You want to be sure its the pump or pump front seal before spending good money on a new one. Could be just the pump gasket. It could also be the bypass hose/clamp, heater hose/clamp or even the thermostat housing again. Get in and under there with a flashlight and try to pin point when the engine has just been shut down. BE CAREFUL!!! safety glasses are a must. Hot coolant is freakin hot!
Also try a search. I think Ive seen a few write ups on here.

Back