• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Re-Design

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I recall reading in a thread on another forum where a Ford dealer mentioned a possible re-design for the infamous 3.5 water pump. Does anyone have any updates on this?

I did some digging, and my 2018 XLT shows up in the Ford catalog as using AT4Z-8501-B water pump, which seems to carry a 2010MY code. I looked up the 2019s, and they are listed as using DG1Z-8501-C which is more like a 2014MY code.

I looked up both water pumps to see if I could find a photograph, and the only ones I found showed the DG1Z as having 10 impeller blades while the AT4Z part had 7 impeller blades.

I do not have any information on whether DG1Z is still failing in Police Interceptors or whether the 10-blade impeller somehow fixed it.

Anyone have updated info to share on this? I'd hope that Ford has solved this by now with the essential demise of the D3/D4 Explorer/Taurus and its internal water pump on the transverse 3.5/3.7 with 2020 using newer engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several posts about updated water pumps around 2012 in the Water pump failure leads to dead engine thread. They do not however talk about impeller blades.
The 2020 Explorer has an external water pump.

Peter

There are several posts about updated water pumps around 2012 in the Water pump failure leads to dead engine thread. They do not however talk about impeller blades.
The 2020 Explorer has an external water pump.

Peter

I know the pumps are still failing even after MY12. I was referring to a redesign sometime around 2016 or 2017.

I know the pumps are still failing even after MY12. I was referring to a redesign sometime around 2016 or 2017.

There were a few different revisions (you may know this already). First was making it a double gasket system (dont know the proper term), the 2nd was going to a dual gear/tooth sprocket instead of a single gear/tooth. I believe this was to try to stabilize it from having as much pressure put on it. Beyond those couple of revisions, I am unaware.

Note that part numbers do change due to changing suppliers as well, not just revisions.

I believe we will be seeing 16-19s failing, they are just too new to see many on here posting about it. You dont typically see it happening on 30-50k mile vehicles.

Looks like the 2 current part #s both use a single gasket, double-row timing gear, but AT4Z-8501-B uses 7-blade impeller and DG1Z-8501-C uses 11-blade impeller (I counted wrong the first time thanks to a blurry picture). Both impellers seem to be of the same material.

I heard that MY2017 Interceptors can experience the same water pump and PTU failures. Looks like Ford didn't really fix anything.

this might be a silly question, but is the WP bearing sealed? Im just curious how it is lubricated.

Mact, the Ford Edge guru has a YouTube video on this topic. They aren't that different and the failure point is the same between the older gen 1 and newer gen 1.5 Edges (which have different pumps).
Key is to prevent coolant from becoming acidic.

The Class Action Lawsuit says---- T""he chain-driven water pump in the Ford Cyclone Engine is located internal to the engine. When the water pump prematurely fails, coolant leaks from the water pump directly into engine parts or the oil pan, destroying essential engine components or mixing with the engine's oil. In many cases, this mixture of engine oil and coolant is carried throughout the engine, leading to destruction of the engine. This often occurs with little to no warning. Despite having knowledge of this defect, Ford has continued selling defective vehicles, has failed to disclose the defect to owners and lessees, has not issued a recall, and has not remedied the issue and/or compensated owners and lessees of the defective vehicles."""

Here is list of vehicles, F
ord Edge (2007-2018);
Ford Explorer (2011-2018);
Ford F150 (2015-2017);
Ford Flex (2009-2018);
Ford Fusion (2010-2012);
Ford Taurus (2008-2018);
Lincoln MKX (2007-2010);
Lincoln MKZ (2007-2012); and
Mercury Sable (2008-2009)

This is well documented/discussed...search PTU.

The Class Action Lawsuit says---- T""he chain-driven water pump in the Ford Cyclone Engine is located internal to the engine. When the water pump prematurely fails, coolant leaks from the water pump directly into engine parts or the oil pan, destroying essential engine components or mixing with the engine's oil. In many cases, this mixture of engine oil and coolant is carried throughout the engine, leading to destruction of the engine. This often occurs with little to no warning. Despite having knowledge of this defect, Ford has continued selling defective vehicles, has failed to disclose the defect to owners and lessees, has not issued a recall, and has not remedied the issue and/or compensated owners and lessees of the defective vehicles."""

Here is list of vehicles, F
ord Edge (2007-2018);
Ford Explorer (2011-2018);
Ford F150 (2015-2017);
Ford Flex (2009-2018);
Ford Fusion (2010-2012);
Ford Taurus (2008-2018);
Lincoln MKX (2007-2010);
Lincoln MKZ (2007-2012); and
Mercury Sable (2008-2009)

The F150 does not have an internal water pump.

I noticed that there are AC Delco replacement pumps for the 3.5 that use cast metal impellers in both 7 and 11 vane configurations. I wonder if these are more durable than Oem which uses plastic impellers.

Also...What would be so wrong about a drain plug at the bottom and fill plug at the middle or top? Totally getting away from common sense. Henry must be turning over in his grave.

Off topic but I thought about installing a Fumoto 3/8 NPT valve at the bottom of the PTU instead of a drain plug. Or just turning in my 2018 Explorer lease and look at a 2021 Explorer.

Can you be a pathfinder on a water pump change and let us know how it goes?

Does anyone know how many blades should be on the pump for the ecoboost on Explorer sport/platinum. I installed a pump with 7 impeller blades but the old one was with 11. Now I'm worried if there will be problems with overheating

Back