Weak Link for towing with 2005 X (class II) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weak Link for towing with 2005 X (class II)

Hi.

What is the real limiting factor when comparing tow capacity and tongue weight limits for a 2005 Explorer when comparing the 3.55 and 3.73 axle ratios?

I have a 4.0 6 cylinder 2005 Explorer with the factory class II hitch. Manual says tow capacity of 3,320 or so and 8,000 GCVW and I think the curb weight is 4,400 or so. Factory hitch says max tongue weight of 350 but the ball attachment (1 1/4" - the thing I put into the receiver with the ball says 300 max tongue weight.

The 3.73 (according to posts I've read) has far greater capacities with the class III hitch and I'm wondering why? Is it only the 3.73 vs 3.55 or are there other "things" that "allow" you to tow more with the 3.73?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the swap from a class II to a class III on my '04 Its a v8, is the '05 a bolt on? If it is any '02-'05 will bolt up, NOT Sure about the '05's if its welded your out of luck. The weight of the Class III hitch is almost twice as heavy as the Class II. The difference is the class II uses (guess) 2" box beam while the Class III its a 3" inch Box Beam with reinforcements cover over it. Its has much more beef on it.
What i do in the hills turn OD off RPM's hover around 3k. Although i'm only towing about 1000 lbs and it hasn't been a big deal with the V8, I'd be a little worried about towing the limit on a weekly basis with 3.55's.

Hi.

What is the real limiting factor when comparing tow capacity and tongue weight limits for a 2005 Explorer when comparing the 3.55 and 3.73 axle ratios?

The 3.73 (according to posts I've read) has far greater capacities with the class III hitch and I'm wondering why? Is it only the 3.73 vs 3.55 or are there other "things" that "allow" you to tow more with the 3.73?

Ford put 3.73's in Explorers with the tow package. With the tow package, the V6's are rated around 5,500 lbs, and the V8's are rated around 7,000lbs.

With no tow package and 3.55's, both engines are rated at 3,500 which is most likely mainly a limit of the hitch capability. The 3.55's also limit the tow rating but my GUESS would be somewhere around 1000 to 2000 lbs less than the tow package explorers. So the 3.55 explorer V6 should tow not much more than 4,500 and the V8 not much more than 5,500.

Why did they put 4.11 rear ends in Explorers?

Hi.

I have a 4.0 6 cylinder 2005 Explorer with the factory class II hitch. Manual says tow capacity of 3,320 or so and 8,000 GCVW and I think the curb weight is 4,400 or so. Factory hitch says max tongue weight of 350 but the ball attachment (1 1/4" - the thing I put into the receiver with the ball says 300 max tongue weight.

Were you over on PopupExplorer asking about this in the last couple days? Just curious... Sounds sort of familiar. :)

The tranny is the weak link. Keep it cool.

That's all you have to do. Keeping OD off is a good idea too. You'll do just fine with light duty towing. Anything more and i would upgrade to a larger vehicle.

Why did they put 4.11 rear ends in Explorers?

They didn't during this generation.

They never did, it was a 4.10 :)

LOL :)

Did you know they apparently also put a 4.30 open diff in an '02 Explorer? I've never heard of or seen one myself, but in the '02 service manual, it lists the Axle Identification Code 43 as being a 4.30 non-limited slip. I wonder if that was for a special police package or something like that?

Back