Weird Electrical Problem

DownUnder

Reaction score
City, State
Davidson, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 2WD
Hi all,

I just bought a 92 V6 Eddie Bauer Explorer, and have a problem already. Drove it home OK but now it refuses to start.

Usually when I open the door the interior lights come on and the door open alarm sounds. Electric windows, seats, dash lights, locks, etc. all operate fine until I turn the ignition. Then there is a *clunk* like a solenoid or relay switch from the passenger side of the engine bay and everything goes dead. If I leave it for a while (10-15 min) it all comes back to life again. I can also bring it back to life by hooking up the battery charger leads - With the battery charger off or on, it doesn't matter. Battery charger indicates that the battery is fully charged. All Fuses are OK.

Has anyone come across this before or have any suggestions about where to look first?

Great to find a forum devoted to 'splorers. Looking forward to getting some holiday tips as to where to take my new toy once I get it going.

Cheers,

Ryan :australia

Welcome to the site. Ask as many questions as you would like, someone will answer them. Take a look at your battery cable connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Use the search feature to do a search on "Battery cables" you should find tons of info.

Thanks Caddybill. That was the problem. Gave the cable a yank and it came out of the battery clamp in my hand. :banghead: Should have spotted this myself...

Back