Weird front end noises and vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird front end noises and vibration

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Getting some front end noise. Lots of creaking when going over bumps and what not; if I push down on the fender area a few times you can hear it creak. Also still have this odd metallic rattling sound I get periodically from the front left when the car is in gear and throttle is applied (kind of sounds like a metal washer being shaken around in a metal coffee can). Also get a clunk to go with the new creak when I go over bigger bumps (speed bumps). Also getting more vibration when hitting normal road bumps.

I'm wondering if it's time to replace upper and lower control arms, bushings, and ball joints since they are all original and I have almost 130K miles on the X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering if it's time to replace upper and lower control arms, bushings, and ball joints since they are all original and I have almost 130K miles on the X.

Yes. CA bushings, ball joints, and sway bar bushings are usual culprits for creaking/groaning/squeaking. Loose sway bar (worn bushings) and broken sway bar end links are nice source of clunks and loose washers making a ringing noise.

Once in a great while you may find a broken or loose shock cover making a lovely ringing noise as well. Just get under there and start looking/shaking/prying. Have someone else bounce the truck while you look from under the front bumper.

Yes. CA bushings, ball joints, and sway bar bushings are usual culprits for creaking/groaning/squeaking. Loose sway bar (worn bushings) and broken sway bar end links are nice source of clunks and loose washers making a ringing noise.

Should I replace the lower CA's? Or just the lower ball joints, upper ball joints, and up control arms?

Honestly haven't seen where the lower ca's needed replacement other than wrecks. I have heard the excuse that they arent terribly expensive and come with a new ball joint and bushings pre-installed so guess that's your $ & proceed as you like. Any way about it if joints are creaking, popping, or squeaking it aint good. Of course you could always grab a grease gun and needle attachment and pump all the ball joint boots full of fresh grease and articulate them a bit. If the creak/squeak goes away you've found the troublemakers & know what to replace.

Oh yeah -- metallic ringing - check all your heat shields on the exhaust and any clamps/hangers. When cold give them a pull on all corners to be sure they dont move.

Ditto. OEM front sway bar end links seem to be one the first "rattling" failures.
Worn sway bar frame bushings are also very common. If they both check out,
lift the front wheels off the ground and inspect everything, including brakes. GL

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_En/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_25471_K7275_En.pdf

Honestly haven't seen where the lower ca's needed replacement other than wrecks. I have heard the excuse that they arent terribly expensive and come with a new ball joint and bushings pre-installed so guess that's your $ & proceed as you like. Any way about it if joints are creaking, popping, or squeaking it aint good. Of course you could always grab a grease gun and needle attachment and pump all the ball joint boots full of fresh grease and articulate them a bit. If the creak/squeak goes away you've found the troublemakers & know what to replace.

Ok, sounds good.

I'd rather just replace stuff then re-grease it just as a good measure

Oh yeah -- metallic ringing - check all your heat shields on the exhaust and any clamps/hangers. When cold give them a pull on all corners to be sure they dont move.

It's not a heat shield rattle type sound. And I know all my exhaust heat shields are good because I just had the exhaust addressed last month.

Back