Weird intermittent drivers window, need to press 3X for it to work up/down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird intermittent drivers window, need to press 3X for it to work up/down

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
I have a 2015 XLT that recently developed a weird issue with the drivers window. It will only work up or down if I hit the switch 3 times. I tried a master window reset, and removing and taking apart the master switch and cleaning, but still does same thing. Any ideas ? It weird that it will work if I hit the switch 3X, and no more or no less, like something was programmed for it to do so.

Try opening the window with the switch and holding the switch for a few seconds to see if that will 'rest' the window.

Peter

Yeah, tried that already, no luck.

OK so I did more troubleshooting , and this is really weird. I have a 12V light tester, and I backprobed the terminal connections on the master contol for window up and down. Weird thing is it started working fine, even if I have the probe in only 1 of the terminals , example, when I stick the probe in the up wire, I hit up and down, and it works fine. If I take the probe out, it starts acting up again. I checked for loose wires, but everything looks good.
The one thing I noticed is when I took the voltage reading of the up/down signal, it read 14V if I press the switch with the car running.
With the probe hooked up , I read 13V when I press the switch and the probe is lit. And it works fine.

I'm stumped. Is it something ground related?

Back