Weird no start issue & slow MFT start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird no start issue & slow MFT start up

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
A few times now, I've gotten in, turned the key, and...nothing. I turn it back to off, then it starts fine.

I've only had it for a month. Most likely, it's only happened with one key, but I'm not positive.

The key in question is a 5 button IKT, from when I added remote start via Forscan.

I do have one of the 4 button keys in the center console, but I wouldn't expect that to interfere.

I've also noticed that since I updated MFT to 3.8, it takes longer to boot up. When I start the engine, MFT goes through the splash screen, then goes black for several seconds.

I will switch out my keys, to my other 5 button, and see if that changes anything, though I don't think about it unless it happens.

Any thoughts on either issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I smell a voltage issue. Have the battery tested. The long black screen sounds like an MFT reboot. A PATS error with the keys would trigger a "Check Starting System" or similar message in the IPC. (Happened on my other vehicles a couple of times with the IKT.)

If you have a 2013 with an original battery, you're probably due.

I will switch out my keys, to my other 5 button, and see if that changes anything, though I don't think about it unless it happens.

Any thoughts on either issue?
If you have the same intermittent starting issue with the other 5 button key go back to using the OEM key which I'm guessing is the 4 button one and see if that fixes it.

Peter

I smell a voltage issue. Have the battery tested. The long black screen sounds like an MFT reboot. A PATS error with the keys would trigger a "Check Starting System" or similar message in the IPC. (Happened on my other vehicles a couple of times with the IKT.)

If you have a 2013 with an original battery, you're probably due.

It's not the original battery. Voltmeter showed the battery at 12.5v with the engine off, and over 14 with it running. Starting only dropped it to 11v.

According to Forscan, I'm getting 56+ amps while the engine is running, with the battery at 14+ volts.

A load test will be more telling.

Do you hear any relay clicks when you move into start? Any dash messages during the duration of the no crank/no start? Have you scanned the BCM and PCM for codes using FORScan or other high end scan tool?

Also, generally, what is state of charge reading after the car has been sitting for a time? Query BCM for this.

No DTCs in any module. No clicks, no dash messages. There's just, nothing. The first couple of times, I thought maybe I just hadn't turned the key far enough.

Neutral safety switch? Ensure 'P' is in red on ICP when the behavior occurs.

Pull gear selector PID from BCM/PCM (cant remember which module actually tracked it). I just realized that the symptoms you describe perfectly coincide with that --no crank no start with no messages.

I believe there was something with the column shifts in these vehicles and the Taurus that also created an erroneous "shift to park" message. I'll see if I can find it.

Also... next time, let the music play when you go to Start, if it then fails to crank, note if the audio cuts out. If it keeps playing, I would bet the switch is bad and the "start" position is never detected. Otherwise, the vehicle should cut the audio IIRC even if the crank doesn't happen (blocked due to neutral safety switch, etc.). The switch itself also probably has a PID you can audit.

I haven't had another occurrence of the no start issue, but what I have noticed with MFT is that everything seems to start up, the radio plays, phone connects, HVAC activates, but the screen stays black for a good 20 seconds before it comes on.

Back