Weird vibration noise in '07 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird vibration noise in '07 Mountaineer

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
My daughter's boyfriend's '07 Mountaineer (V8 AWD) has a weird noise/vibration at part throttle. If feels like it is under the driver's feet. I removed the front drive shaft and the noise went away. I found a bit of a catch in one of the caps on the u-joint, so I replaced the u-joint, but it didn't change anything. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's either output shaft bearing on the TC or front differential.

I let this go for a few weeks and it got bad enough that I can see the problem. It's the pinion bearing on the front diff. Any advice on replacing it?

We had that vibration (although we felt it under the driver's butt thru the seat). Chased it to the front diff. I can't remember which component was bad in there, but he said it "spun" a bearing.

It's a standard open diff.

I had the rear output bearing on my transfer case fail and it was causing humming noise, vibration and TC fluid leak. I checked the prices for a rebuilt TC or get it fixed and it was in 1000-2500 range. I got a used TC from an 07 truck with 47k miles for $ 150 and it's been great since then. I saw the front carriers for about 300-400 price range.

I let this go for a few weeks and it got bad enough that I can see the problem. It's the pinion bearing on the front diff. Any advice on replacing it?
did you fix the problem?how did you replace the front pinion bearing?

Back