• Register Today It's free!

Well I'm new

Haxaw

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited V8 AWD
I was born with the Ford name so I guess I belong here. With a last name like Ford how can ya drive anything else. Well I own a 1979 bronco with a 351M, but the gas milage is about 9mpg so its off the road. I have a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0, which is fun and fast as hell, but I need the 4x4 back. I have to drive a Geo storm in the winter because the car hasn't seen winters and definately shouldn't. My father has a 1993 F-150 Supercab 4x4 with a 351W and a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351C, ram air, gorgeous car. My uncle has a 1968 Shelby GT500 with the 428 I read mentioned in putting it in an Explorer. Boy do I like to drive those classic stangs, but they'll scare the hell out of you. I love the Fords. I'm actually selling the 87 Mustang, any takers. My dream is the Explorer, I want one bad. this great i love hearing about them conquering the trail. So hear is my first question, what is better in the Explorers, AWD or 4x4 locking hubs?

Wlcome to the site Haxaw!

What model year are you considering. As far as what would be good on trails, the 91-94's are probably the best. With these, AWD was never offered. Let us know what you are looking for and we'll be able to help you from there! It must be fun having Ford for a last name, you must get good service at dealers!;) Again, welcome to the site and let us know more of your thoughts for your possible truck!

1996 Limited

It has the 5.0L V8 and has all the little toys in it. Probably wouldn't do heavy off roading but In the Northeastern snow was a concern. I would also like to be able to pull into a secluded spot in the woods or field and not get stuck. I think that may ruin the moment, HAHAHA.

Well, 95+ Explorers have no hubs. And if you are looking into a V8, AWD is your only option there.

As far as a setup for light offroading. I am running at tire that is roughly a 32x10.5R16 BFG KO. You can run these with the torsion twist, but I am currently stock right now and have experienced no problems running them. Hope this helps.

Back