Wet floor when a/c is turned on. What the heck is this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wet floor when a/c is turned on. What the heck is this?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I'm trying to help my sister out. She has a '07 Lincoln MKX that suddenly started leaking water on the passenger side floor whenever the air conditioning is turned on. The floor mats become saturated. Could it just be that the device that drips the water is being misrouted? There's a sound like sand moving around when turns are made she says. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drain is clogged.

Agreed. This is most likely the cause, as long as the "water" is really just clean water. If it is sweet smelling, green, or a weird sort-of sticky and slippery at the same time, then it's probably anti-freeze, and the problem would likely be a leaking heater core. But as long as its just clear water, then it should be a clogged evap/ac drain backing up into the interior.

I had this problem on a '98ish Neon once. My sister, while riding as a passenger, pointed out that the floor was soaked. I even tested and confirmed that it only leaked with the a/c on. For some reason, logic completely passed me by that day, I convinced myself it was the heater core...:confused:

After buying all the parts and getting the dash half-torn out, I finally checked the drain, and found it had a piece of something plugging it. After clearing it, a bunch of clear water gushed out! Problem solved, except the work was more then half done, and the parts were already bought, so I finished changing the heater core anyway.:frustrate:fire::eek: Ever done one on a Neon? You REALLY don't want to! The entire dash has to come out, in order to be able to remove the heater core from the plenum. When I say the entire dash, I mean the ENTIRE dash, down to the bare steel firewall. Of course, in order to get it out of the car, you also have to pull both front seats, the center console, and the column, not to mention disconnecting and snaking out much of the wire harness. Yeah, not something you want to misdiagnose!

I consider dash removal as one of the most complex jobs. Pulling the motor out is less hassle.

3/4th gen ex's dashes i dont mind, headliners on the other hand.....

Back