What are plugs and wires?

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Ok, not a too stupid question, yes I know they are spark plugs and the wires, but what advantages do you have using platinum plugs and upgraded wire? I just wanna know if I should stick with the ford parts, or buy bosch or something aftermarket. There is just so much talk about plugs and wires, I wanna know what all the fuss is about... thanks guys:)

PS... i tried searching, couldnt come up with anything...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stick with Motorcraft (Ford) plugs and wires and get double platinum plugs. Bascially they last much longer and maintain a more constant gap with platinum.

Alec~ If you say tick with motorcraft, I guess I will.... What should I expect to pay at the dealer for plugs and wires? Are the platinum ones really going to be worth the extra money?

Motorcraft plugs are probably the best, however, there are better wires.

You can get Motorcraft double platinum plugs at Autozone for $4 each. Motorcraft wires will have to be ordered over the net, unless you feel like getting screwed by the stealer.

so wait ford did something right? lol how are they better i know they are some like 30-50 dollar wires im just wondering like what makes a good wire vrs a crappy wire lol

The first time I replaced the ignition wires, I bought the Napa brand wires because they have lifetime warrenty and I had good luck with their other parts. The problem with the Napa wires was that the connectors on the coil pack were different and did not fit as well as the originals. (There was an explanation in the box that this style was "improved" compared to the originals).

I eventually ended up switching back to the Motorcraft wires, because the connectors on the Napa ones didn't fit well. If you get aftermarket, you may want to check this out on the replacement wires.

The Motorcraft wires are good quality. If you buy them, check with fordpartsnetwork.com. I just checked the price and at about $30 it was less than 1/2 what the dealer wanted for them.

I would also stick with the Motorcraft plugs if you got good results from the originals. They have the correct heat range for the engine and the double platinum electrodes. Brad's tip is a good one - I just bought a set at Autozone for about $4.40 each - the dealer charged over twice that much last time.

I have used auto zone wires and found nothing wrong with them. Plus they have a lifetime warantee. How can you go wrong? Some will say there are better wires out there but to me thats like putting Z rated(150mph) tires on an X. Better but not needed.

Back