What Battery size do I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Battery size do I need?

Jake789967

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer
Hey i've got a ford explorer 2000 SOHC 4.0L, was wondering what battery size i need to replace the old one? and advice would be great. thanks ahead of time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

65 group size

It's pretty easy as long as you have the right tools (which are nothing special). I'd rate it a 1 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being very difficult. Most auto parts stores will change it for you for free if you can get there.

Changeing out your battery is simple all you really needs is a 8mm wrench, two rags, and a wire battery terminal brush, thus unloosen the negative terminal first remove terminal from battery post wrap it with a rag/set it to the side then do the same for the positive side and then lift the battery out, then place new one in, wire brush the battery post and the terminals as you unwrap then one at a time, also remember when reinstalling terminals the positive (red) goes first then the negative (black)

Good luck/happy wrenching

Changeing out your battery is simple all you really needs is a 8mm wrench, two rags, and a wire battery terminal brush, thus unloosen the negative terminal first remove terminal from battery post wrap it with a rag/set it to the side then do the same for the positive side and then lift the battery out, then place new one in, wire brush the battery post and the terminals as you unwrap then one at a time, also remember when reinstalling terminals the positive (red) goes first then the negative (black)

Good luck/happy wrenching

Don't forget the bolt that holds on the plastic block which is the battery retainer.

Bolt for the plastic retainer is an 8mm. You will need a long extension.

It really doesn't matter in which order the terminals go on, just as long as you don't put them on backwards or cross the terminals. Also if you have a lot of white powdery stuff on the terminals or battery make sure to wear gloves. Battery acid is nothing it play with.

On installation, I like to put the positive terminal on first. That way if the wrench I'm tightening it with touches something metal - no sparks. Same thing in reverse when removing the terminals, negative first. This is particularly important when removing a dead/low battery as the battery is giving off gas, which a spark may ignite and the battery can explode in your face.

Back