What can leak oil? Also axle capacities? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can leak oil? Also axle capacities?

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
I am wondering if the only thing under my truck that can leak motor oil is the....motor? Not the transmission or transfercase. The trans case and/or tranny leak a little red, but I think the rear main is leaking oil. Not sure though.
Please help. I am going on a 200+ mile trip @ the end of this week. Therefore, need to know what is leaking.

I also have to find out how much fluid goes in the front and rear axles. I bought 4 quarts of Valvaline Dura Blend Synthetic 80W90 gear oil. Will that work in both axles?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

as far as what can leak oil.. valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, rear main, front crank seals, and all of this can seep down the side of the motor and be sprayed agaisnt other parts of the car. I snugged down the valve covers on my motor and got them to stop leaking, it was bad.. seepd down the side of the heads, covered the starter, and sprayed against the tranny pan. after 2 cans of brake clean there is still some left. oh well, i dont smell oil burning anymore so im happy.

specs call for a 85/140 gear oil i believe but i used the same thing you bought plus some posi trac additive. even though im open diffs ive always used a little friction modifier when changing fluids.

im going on a 400+ mile trip this coming sunday with a group of friends. I'm the designated recovery vehicle and ive already been asked to bring tools and gear in case someone breaks down. been drivin the truck a lot the past couple weeks, everything seems to be in good order. cant wait to see how everything goes. this will be the first 'trip' ive taken my 93 on in about three years.

hope this helps, good luck.

Alright. That helps.
I will get some additive. I will check my hayes for quantity.

Back