What can pull a transmission out of for my 07 explorer Eddie Bauer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can pull a transmission out of for my 07 explorer Eddie Bauer?

asmith357

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer Eddie Bauer
Im being told and reading so many different things... Im hoping someone here can clarify. Im in DESPERATE need of a transmission for my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I'm being told that all rangers using the 4.0 , mountaineers, even a few mustangs have the same transmission. Does anyone know for absolute certain which ones will work ?I have someone willing to do the labor for me, I just have to locate a transmission. If anyone can give me a list of transmissions that will definitely fit I will be forever in your debt. Also, (obviously) there are no 2006-2010 explorers in the salvage yard at this time unfortunately.

Thank y'all sooo much for taking the time !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried the search feature? If not you can probably find an answer there while you wait for a reply here.

Have you tried the search feature? If not you can probably find an answer there while you wait for a reply here.
Eddie, thanks for the response.
I did indeed try the search function. I also tried googling it which turned up a few threads from this forum. The problem is that I found nothing concrete, just a bunch of opinions like "I'd stick with the 06 -10 explorers to be safe" or "The 97-2011 rangers and all mountaineers with 4.0".... I only get one shot at this and I need ti be certain or as certain as one in my position can be. Time and money are working against me, unfortunately.

Eddie, thanks for the response.
I did indeed try the search function. I also tried googling it which turned up a few threads from this forum. The problem is that I found nothing concrete, just a bunch of opinions like "I'd stick with the 06 -10 explorers to be safe" or "The 97-2011 rangers and all mountaineers with 4.0".... I only get one shot at this and I need ti be certain or as certain as one in my position can be. Time and money are working against me, unfortunately.
It's a v6 so any sohc motor from a 2nd or 3rd gen explorer will probably work they where the same motor up until 11 and I believe the same transmission up until they switched to 6 speed which I'm not exactly sure when that was the mustang's transmission I'm not exactly sure. Do you know if yours is a five or a six speed transmission

The six speed transmissions were only paired with the V8 engines. My guess is any 5R55 from a V6 2002-2010 Explorer will fit physically. I am not sure about the programming to operate it. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a solid answer.

The six speed transmissions were only paired with the V8 engines. My guess is any 5R55 from a V6 2002-2010 Explorer will fit physically. I am not sure about the programming to operate it. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a solid answer.
Ok thanks for clarifying I thought so yup I agree with this statement

The Ranger does not have the transmission you require. You need a 5R55S unit. If your Explorer is a 4X4 the mustang transmission is out. also.

I have access to a 99, 02 and 07 rangers with the 4.0. Will any of these transmissions work ?
It's a v6 so any sohc motor from a 2nd or 3rd gen explorer will probably work they where the same motor up until 11 and I believe the same transmission up until they switched to 6 speed which I'm not exactly sure when that was the mustang's transmission I'm not exactly sure. Do you know if yours is a five or a six speed transmission
5 speed...5R55E

Your not going to have a 5R55E in a 2007 explorer. It’s going to be a 5R55S

No rangers, complete different unit.
Brad

Yep, you need the S version. There were few variations of 5R55: W was used behind 2v 4.6 explorers from 02-05

Try this with your zip, it will also find compatible vehicles, probably just Mountaineers.

I see they are pricey, the used ones.

Just for reference, few years ago I bought a reman unit of 5R55S for about 1800 including shipping.
I know you are tight on money but not sure I'd trust one from a salvage yard.

I wouldn’t consider putting a transmission in one of these if the timing guides haven’t been addressed. Both of those repairs would easily cover a car payment for over a year, and get you in a better, more efficient car.

Im being told and reading so many different things... Im hoping someone here can clarify. Im in DESPERATE need of a transmission for my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I'm being told that all rangers using the 4.0 , mountaineers, even a few mustangs have the same transmission. Does anyone know for absolute certain which ones will work ?I have someone willing to do the labor for me, I just have to locate a transmission. If anyone can give me a list of transmissions that will definitely fit I will be forever in your debt. Also, (obviously) there are no 2006-2010 explorers in the salvage yard at this time unfortunately.

Thank y'all sooo much for taking the time !!!
I replaced my 2007 Ford explorer 4.0 Eddie Bauer with a remanufactured one with warranty from Rock Auto. I have been totally satisfied. Price was right.

Back