• Register Today It's free!

What condenser to use with R-134?

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I am converting my '91 explorer to R-134.
I have been told that I need to convert to a parallel flow condenser to make up for R-134's lower efficiency. But, I cannot find a similarly sized parallel flow condenser to replace my stock condenser.
Will the parallel flow condenser from a '97 V8 explorer fit?
What have you guys used?

The stock condenser for the 93-94 Explorer is just fine for R-134a, it's the smaller condensers of earlier R-12 systems that are the problem when it comes to surface area and efficiency.

The thing you REALLY need to change when converting to R-134a is the compressor. The old ones on early Explorers won't handle the higher pressures of R-134a too well, expecially at an advanced age, and will usually succumb to black death, ruining the entire system. Get NEW A/C lines (aftermarket), which will have the R-134a barrier hoses, and a new (aftermarket) Receiver/Drier which will also work with R134a, and the correct orifice tube valve (either variable or R-134a) and sensor (R-134a), add in the right amount of PAG oil (after flushing the old condenser and evaporator, of course), charge the system, and it should be converted.

The stock condenser for the 93-94 Explorer is just fine for R-134a, it's the smaller condensers of earlier R-12 systems that are the problem when it comes to surface area and efficiency.

The thing you REALLY need to change when converting to R-134a is the compressor.

I guess I do not understand what you mean. The stock compressors for 91 and 93-94 are the same (according to Rock Auto) and they match the stock one that came with my vehicle.
The same thing is true for the compressors. They are FS10s of the same part number.
I did this same conversion on my '89 T-Bird and I replaced everything because I had the black death (on R-12) but I did not upgrade the condenser and the AC performance is now mediocre at best.
I am not sure when Explorers changed over to R-134. I assumed it was between 94 and 95 because that is when the part numbers changed.
Am I wrong?

The stock compressors on 91-93's with R-12 are the smaller FX-15 compressors.
The '94's with R-134a came with FS10 compressors. If you have an FS10, that's great, you're good to go.

The stock condenser is the same for R134a as it was for R-12, it's not necessary to 'upgrade' since it's the same as most other R-134a condensers. Most condensers for R-12 were tiny, but one that takes up the entire space in front of the radiator is as good as you are going to get.

Explorers changed over to R-134a during the 93-94 transition. That's why almost all '94's are R-134a, and why the 91-93 systems are not that big a deal to upgrade, although the parts to do so correctly are initially expensive.

Back