What do you guys think of Royal Purple products? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you guys think of Royal Purple products?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
My buddy NAK4AF introduced me to Royal Purple products and recently I began changine over my fluids to Royal Purple.

Anyone else use this and what are your thoughts on how it compares to other synthetic products.

What I have so far is gear oil for diffs, engine oil, ATF in tranny and T-case and I added some Purple Ice to my radiator.

I am running Royal Purple Oil (for 2 oil changes now) and Purple Ice Coolant Additive.
They both seem to be good products, but most of the way I feel is all in my head. I really feel no seat of the pants change.
I plan to switch my tranny and diffs over at 60,000 miles.

Did you notice a drop in water temp with the purple Ice? I mean could you tell by your guage that it was running cooler? I was told you would see a difference in 24-48 hrs after introducing it into coolant.

Purple ice

Your water temp will not be lowered with purple ice, trans cool, water wetter, or any similar products. These products lower the surface tension of you coolant and allow quicker heat transfer. The temp will be controlled by the thermostat at the same temp it always was, but the additive should make your coolant more efficient at what it does. In other words, it cools the engine quicker. Another trick is to use less than 50% water if you live in hot climes. Water is better at heat removal than antifreeze, and you don't need the freeze protection of a 50/50 mix if you live in Central Texas. I live in Dallas and run a 60/40 water/coolant mix. Edit - just realized you live in Alaska! You definitely need the 50/50 mix, or more. Anyway I wouldn't think overheating should be a big problem way the hell up there!:)

Back