What does AWD mean on the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does AWD mean on the Explorer?

PAExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD
The modern definition of AWD is a FWD car that kicks into 4WD when wheels lose traction. How does the AWD mode work in the Explorer? Is it truly a full time AWD or is it rear wheel drive? I am pretty sure it is not FWD( at least I hope so).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a true full time all-wheel drive. The front and rear drive shafts are mechanically linked together at all times by a chain drive in the viscous coupler (transfer case). When one of the axles turns faster than the other (happens when wheels slip), the fluid in the VC heats and causing the clutches to bind and apply more power to the non-slipping side as needed. The power split can vary unlike a traditional 4wd TC which simply ties the axles at 50/50 power. There are no electronic controls involved. It happens automatically on a purely mechanical basis. The only real downside is that is power inefficient and drags down performance compared to a traditional 4wd transfer case and does not have true low gear 4wd capabilities. The upside is it very reliable and works extremely well with poor weather driving conditions like snow or ice.

The confusing part is that there is still the 4WD lo and hi modes. Why would I use them if I have all time AWD?

AWD was only available on V8 equipped Explorers & Mountaineers. V6 models had Control-Trac which is not the same.

Your truck is NOT AWD if it is a V6 with the 4wd selector. The AWD is only on the V8 AWD models - they do not have any selector switches. Your 4wd has a traditional transfer case and when set to AUTO it runs in rear 2wd. A computer monitors the signals from the ABS speed sensors in the front wheel hubs and rear differential housing. If a difference in speeds is detected, the truck powers the electronic actuator in the transfer case to provide power to the front drive shaft. Since the shaft is live all the time, you generally don't notice the switch unless there is severe slip (such as rear wheels spinning at take off from a stop - then you may feel a thud as power is suddenly applied). For the majority of driving conditions this setting works perfectly fine. Do not use the 4Hi and 4Low settings unless you are offroad or in very slick conditions such as deep snow. The 4Hi and 4Low settings manually lock the transfer case at 50/50 power resulting in binding of the drivetrain if you turn while on any surface that has good traction, which can cause damage to the truck and may cause you to loose control of the vehicle. 4Hi is best for wet snowy or sandy dirt roads, 4Lo locks the transmission in the lowest gear and is useful for rock crawling, steep hillsides, and mud holes where you need the maximum power to all wheels to keep the truck moving forward.

How do I know if all these intricate processes even work? It is a 16 year old truck after all. I suppose I could wait until it snows or take it on a gravel road.

I was lucky enough to have it snow just after I bought mine and I took it out and spun the rear tires slightly. A very faint thud was felt and the truck starting taking off like it was in 4wd. It seems to work pretty good but hopefully we'll get some good storms this year to really try it out.

How do I know if all these intricate processes even work? It is a 16 year old truck after all. I suppose I could wait until it snows or take it on a gravel road.

Drive it on 4wd and turn and you should feel it "hop" since all 4 wheels will turn at the same speed but they are not traveling the same distance when turning. You can also securely lift all 4 wheels off the ground and observe it in 4wd (at your own risk)

Very easiest to tell this time of year: drive on some grass in the morning. There will be enough dew or frost in PA for the grass to be wet. From a stop, stomp the gas a little. The rear tires will slip for a moment then the front end will lock and drive forward without issue. You can also put the truck in neutral with the brake pedal depressed and switch to 4hi (no sounds, but 4HI will light on the dash panel) or 4lo (4LO will likely hear and possibly feel the truck engage, then 4LO will light on the dash panel). Shift to drive and step on the gas. It will feel very different from regular 2wd. Don't turn too much in 4HI or 4LO or you will tear ruts in the grass. To shift out, put back in neutral and hold brake pedal down while turning the selector back to 2wd or auto. Dash light should turn off and go back to normal driving.

The modern definition of AWD is a FWD car that kicks into 4WD when wheels lose traction.
No, that's the modern definition of 4x4 Auto.
AWD is all the time all wheel drive. It has three differentials - one for each axle and one central, between axles. In Explorers the rear and the central differentials also are limited slip type differentials. Sometimes the rear is open, for cheapness...

A 4x4 has a rigid coupling between front and rear axles - called transfer case. Controlled or not by PCM.

In my Dodge Dakota when I turn on 4WD, power goes to the right front wheel and the left rear wheel. It was very odd when I first saw it. What sort of 4WD is this? I expected all 4 wheels to turn.

Open differentials (on front and rear) will act that way. Read about differentials and why limited slip is beneficial (necessary) for slippery surfaces...

Back