What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

If the Explorer was redesigned in 2019 for 2020MY, what would you want to see?

• Self driving tech

• Hybrid/ Plug in hybrid

• Fully electric

• Body on frame

• FWD based + AWD + 9 speed transmission

• RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission

• Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L

• V8

• Unibody

• Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was told by some people who are in the know, we will never see a V8 in an Explorer. They are being phased out in the F150, Raptor, Expedition, and soon they will be history.

AWD with a rear wheel bias is the future, I bet the new Explorer doesn't offer FWD.

10 speed Transmission will be there in 2020

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told by some people who are in the know, we will never see a V8 in an Explorer. They are being phased out in the F150, Raptor, Expedition, and soon they will be history.

AWD with a rear wheel bias is the future, I bet the new Explorer doesn't offer FWD.

10 speed Transmission will be there in 2020

I can accept there never being a V8 again, if they go to RWD bias and the 10 speed. I'd still like to see Ford performance produce a 450+ hp explorer to compete against the SRT twins. Based on the number of platinums and sports I see on the daily I'm sure there's a market for it.

I can accept there never being a V8 again, if they go to RWD bias and the 10 speed. I'd still like to see Ford performance produce a 450+ hp explorer to compete against the SRT twins. Based on the number of platinums and sports I see on the daily I'm sure there's a market for it.

My guess is that Ford is having a tough time keeping up with the rapidly changing auto industry, hence one of the major reasons for a new CEO. If I recall correctly, most redesigns of other major automobile manufacturers are coming out a year earlier than Ford's newly redesigned models. With Silicon Valley and/or high tech companies entering the automotive industry that has moved like a dinosaur until the last recession or so, a paradigm shift in the industry is more than likely on it's way soon catering to the likes and values of younger generations bringing many new surprises, the least of which will be fewer V-8's, to those who have driven cars and trucks since the '70s.

maybe ford ought to look back to when the explorer was number 1 in sales

It is the best selling large SUV last year and probably still is this year ( I havent looked). The bronco will take care of the rugged 4x4 that people are after.

Programable cruise control.

Basically Ide like to see three presets so I can drop speed and increase speed at the touch of a button.

Programable cruise control.

Basically Ide like to see three presets so I can drop speed and increase speed at the touch of a button.
I know what you mean but you can increase/decrease speed with "Set" button. Every press increases or decreases the speed a set amount. On mine it is 2 kmph. If your propose preset acts anything like "Resume", I'll pass. I prefer a gradual increase not the 'hang on' kind the 'Resume' produces.;)

Peter

I know what you mean but you can increase/decrease speed with "Set" button. Every press increases or decreases the speed a set amount. On mine it is 2 kmph. If your propose preset acts anything like "Resume", I'll pass. I prefer a gradual increase not the 'hang on' kind the 'Resume' produces.;)

Peter

Yeah something like that. For instance, if cruising at 100kms and the speed reduces to 80kms, ide like just hit a button and set the cruise to 80 instead of hitting the - 10 times. I find the tranny strategy to be pretty good on the 17 Sport. It will shift up and reduce speed pretty good.

The ability to control the interior lights...smh. A sport mode that can compete with sand mode.

1. Re-plumb the inside cabin air so that the exhaust gases do not come into the cabin after 7 years.

2. Generate user manuals that are specific to the car purchased. There are 545 pages on the 2017 limited user manual, but a large amount of the manual does not apply to my actual vehicle. Here is an example, on page 457 under the settings for sound is an occupancy mode that creates sound settings based on how many occupants are in the vehicle. So I went out to set up my vehicle. There is no such option on my Limited model. It is probably in the Premium model. But a great opportunity to customize the user manual to document info that is relevant to your vehicle.

If you could print out a custom 90 page owners manual, that would cut the document size by over 400%.

It has those now.

How? When I turn off the the car, all the interior lights come on. This is the first car I've owned that doesn't have the ability to control that, absent a paid trip to willing dealer to enable darken mode, which would disable things I want, like the puddle lights.

Back