what does your explorer temp run at? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what does your explorer temp run at?

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
hey there guys i got a 95 ford explorer 4 door 4x4 4.0L auto with ac. the temp gauge does go up past the c on the gauge. now i've checked the actaul temp of the rad and it's around 170 degrees that's after pounding the crap out of the truck in 80 degree weather ? in the winter it gets even worse if there is anyone from the northern reaches of the states or canada that has a similar problem please post. my gas mileage is taking a beating, i've talked to my buddy that has a 94 ranger 4.0 the same thing. i've been thinking about installing an electric fan with a 195 degree thermostat switch and getting rid of the stock clutch fan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLT_Explorer said:
hey there guys i got a 95 ford explorer 4 door 4x4 4.0L auto with ac. the temp gauge does go up past the c on the gauge. now i've checked the actaul temp of the rad and it's around 170 degrees that's after pounding the crap out of the truck in 80 degree weather ? in the winter it gets even worse if there is anyone from the northern reaches of the states or canada that has a similar problem please post. my gas mileage is taking a beating, i've talked to my buddy that has a 94 ranger 4.0 the same thing. i've been thinking about installing an electric fan with a 195 degree thermostat switch and getting rid of the stock clutch fan.

You might want to test/replace the thermostat. It sounds like it's stuck open if the temperature isn't hot enough. You should get 190F or so at the ECT.

I get around 195 (limit on my thermo). Don't know about winter weather yet, I have only had the truck for about 2 months.

200 tops.

Usually hangs out around 190 195 ish

Mine runs around 198 degrees and gets to 210 if I push it hard.

Yeah, that rather cool.

Should sit around the 200 Fahrenheit mark

The hottest I have had a car. Was my Dad’s car and I was towing a 3300-pound trailer in 107-degree heat up north, cruising at 70 for like 8hrs straight (With fuel stops of corse) with the aircon set on 62 and the Coolant temp was sitting on 221 degrees for like 5hrs :eek: . Man it was not happy when I finally arrived it was idling ruff as and was very sluggish.

Now that's Punishment :thumbsup:

yeah been there my lil bronco 2 hauled a sawmill back from north of me 230 all the way guess i burn't the carbon outta her that day thermostat is good changed it same problem the only one i can get up here for the truck is a 197 degree one

Back