What gear ratio would be the best for a 3rd gen looking to run 33’s? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What gear ratio would be the best for a 3rd gen looking to run 33’s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So 4.30 or 4.10 is the final two options
in my opinion at least. between those two, its up to you. 410 is better highway, still a slight slight bump over stock, probably as close to stock as itll get. 4.3 is a bit more power than stock.

Ok so the formulae is. Old gear ratio multiplied by the old tires divided by new tire size right?

In my case 3.73 x 30 / 33

Cuz that equals 3.39

Ok so the formulae is. Old gear ratio multiplied by the old tires divided by new tire size right?

In my case 3.73 x 30 / 33

Cuz that equals 3.39
think its 3.73x33/30 cause thats about 410.

lol 3.4 and 33s would suck!!!!
That's why I was double checking and asking cuz the end result looked wrong lol.... Althought on my old truck 33s and 3.5 worked real well believe it or not

That's why I was double checking and asking cuz the end result looked wrong lol.... Althought on my old truck 33s and 3.5 worked real well believe it or not
really? another X? imo on mine 33s and my 373 would suck 🤣

really? another X? imo on mine 33s and my 373 would suck 🤣
No 71 f250 390 fe bored and stroked to 428 single cab longbed. I love my explorer but if I go fo another SUV it would be an older suburban

No 71 f250 390 fe bored and stroked to 428 single cab longbed. I love my explorer but if I go fo another SUV it would be an older suburban
oh, makes sense then. what was the trans gearing? that can make a big difference too. the 5r55es have a shallow imo 1st gear, like the later ones better, or the 700r4

oh, makes sense then. what was the trans gearing? that can make a big difference too. the 5r55es have a shallow imo 1st gear, like the later ones better, or the 700r4
Dunno standard c6.... Had some work done on extra bands or so the mechanic told me had a "shift kit" it was my work truck. Towing kinda sucked with 33s but no over drive was made up for with taller tires which helped... Got an average of 17 mpg combined

Dunno standard c6.... Had some work done on extra bands or so the mechanic told me had a "shift kit" it was my work truck. Towing kinda sucked with 33s but no over drive was made up for with taller tires which helped... Got an average of 17 mpg combined
17?? sheesh! thats really good imo! sounds like a nice truck ;)

17?? sheesh! thats really good imo! sounds like a nice truck ;)
It was. I sold it for 150 bucks to scrapper cried for 3 days straight....

I would love to be able to get an old big block c6 or c4 carb set up in this explorer of mine but regs won't allow... Sadly. Don't like smoged vehicles

It was. I sold it for 150 bucks to scrapper cried for 3 days straight....

I would love to be able to get an old big block c6 or c4 carb set up in this explorer of mine but regs won't allow... Sadly. Don't like smoged vehicles
someone in my family had one, camper special iirc, had the c6 iirc, and the 360 iirc. real nice truck, wish it was still around... got stolen and parted out, so sold it to a scrapper too.

now that would be nice!!!!!! i mean a 7.3 slides right in... not sure of any big blocks, but if a 7.3 can fit i dont see why any other one cant

someone in my family had one, camper special iirc, had the c6 iirc, and the 360 iirc. real nice truck, wish it was still around... got stolen and parted out, so sold it to a scrapper too.

now that would be nice!!!!!! i mean a 7.3 slides right in... not sure of any big blocks, but if a 7.3 can fit i dont see why any other one cant
I'm very curious about that coyote engine... But to be honest a small super charger would be all I would want. Would like to do lockers and 5.x diffs.

I always hate when people state Thier dream build them never do it.

But my goal on no time frame.... Get lockers get wider tires
Battery bank with dual induction units and air fryer.
Solar panels.
Rear drawer from hatch to mid row back of seats.

Basic camping fishing overland bug out stuff

Back