What is the deal with the steering on these things? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the deal with the steering on these things?

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
98 AWD XLT V8

Steering is horrible. Hear groaning sound whenever I go over a bump from the front end. Changed front shocks and brakes. Braking is very loose. Road wander at any speed. Truck is constantly out of alignment. Sometimes it feels like wheels are turning on seized bearings. Ford mechanics are incompetent. Afraid of losing control on highway with this truck. HELP ME!! Tell me what is wrong! I have the premium warranty. I want to take it to meinikee to have them diagnosis and then present that diagnosis to Ford's mechanics so that they can FIX THE DAMN TRUCK!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time to find another dealer.

Sounds like both your bearings and tie rods need fixing.

I jacked the bad boy up on Saturday and shook the tie rods. They didn't twist or anything. I had a feeling about the bearings all along. That's covered under my warranty.

Get them fixed sooner rather than later. I had a front wheel try to fall off when my bearings roasted. Definately not fun.

You could try taking it to a front end shop that specilizes in trucks. Have them diagonose it then go to the dealer or "find another dealer" (alec)

Yes, I think that I'll take it to another dealer. The one that I'm going to claims that they did work but when I get it back, it feels the same.

They're obligated to give you an exact printout of the work they did if you ask for it. So what have they supposedly done?

They claimed that it was out of alignment and that they would align it for me. I asked did they check all of the things I mentioned and they responded yes. I got the truck back and it felt exactly the same. I've taken this truck to them at least 10 times since I've had it and it hasn't been a year yet.

do us alla favor and dont just goto another ford..i mean thats fine but call ford and complain..i dont have the number to give u or anything mabey someone here does?

but i know the ford my dad worked for(haward ford) had an amazing staff to work on ur car..but that was only after several complaints of how horrible it was in there so finally got on them and as far as i know they are still one of the better ones to goto

How's the ball joints and control arms? Mine were done at 55,000 miles and the truck never felt better. Also, all the bangs and clunks are gone from the front end.

Back