What is UP with the suspension on these things? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is UP with the suspension on these things?

I know it won't ride like a Caddy but the ride should be comfortable at least. Even with a truck based suspension, it should be decent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

still never heard any mention of the condition of ball joints, bushings, etc.

The ride of the suspension is not all shocks, new shocks are a band aid if the real problem is worn out bushings, etc......

One of the big problems with the ride quality is the front sway bar. If you remove it, you will be amazed by how much better the suspension reacts to bumps. In reality, that front suspension is NOT an independent setup so long as that sway bar is there physically connecting the two control arms to each other. Sway bars are band-aids used by many car companies to help prevent flexing and limit excessive body roll.

You of course will have to watch the truck around turns a bit more, but the ride quality is amazingly better. You also may want to go with lighter wheels. The problem with a solid axle is that there is a lot of un-sprung weight. This means that the suspension can not adequately deal with the road bumps as well as if the weight was placed on top of the springs (In the case of the Explorer's rear, the leaf springs).

That is why you notice the 3rd Generation Explorer (2002-Current) rides so much better. It uses an independent setup in the rear which reduces un-sprung weight by a great amount. Suspension is a complete science in itself. Ford spent a good deal amount of time researching it, but there is only so much you can do with a full frame underneath you. Have you tried adjusting the lumbar, and the seating position?

Hartman said:
After riding in friends Exs, I think that the Explorer front suspension has a lot of droop but not a lot of rebound, meaning that it will "fall" down into a pothole but is hesitant to come back up in the normal position after. This makes it a little stiff.

That's part of it. If you've had a chance to play with a suspension that allowed you to adjust the compression and rebound, then you know Ford just screwed up the damping on the 2nd gen. It's a combination of the worst qualities of a sports car and a land yacht with the benefits of neither.

If the front sway bar is the problem, then what steps can be taken to retain the sway bar but allow the two sides to work independant of each other?

Hartman, you really can't have the sway bar in and have them work independently. The whole purpose of the sway bar is if one side droops, the other side droops. THere is a little bit of give in it. So, in reality, the sway bar acts like a spring for your side to side swaying.

Although, I would disagree on disconnecting completely. IMO this is unsafe in vehicles as top heavy as these unless you REALLY know what you're doing. My suggestion would be to possibly disconnect it for a day and see how much better you like the ride, if that solves it, first check all the bushings, make sure they're not blown. If not, look into finding a smaller Sway Bar. By going to a smaller diameter sway bar, the bar will give more before trying to even out your sides in a swaying motion.

Hope this helps. Also, just for your knowledge, overall, I would agree that the X does ride rougher than some other SUV's, but its also one of the cheapest SUV's (especially compared to a similar Jeep or Yukon), and more importantly, the X is ligheter (especially than the Yukon). Add another ton to your X and I guarantee it will ride smoother (this is what Chevy does with it's Xtreme line of trucks and SUV's, lowered suspension and added weight to make it ride better).

yeah, it is a truck

I like my first gen coil spring front W/O shocks bouncy and soft much body roll.

Cali' Explorer said:
Hartman, you really can't have the sway bar in and have them work independently. The whole purpose of the sway bar is if one side droops, the other side droops. THere is a little bit of give in it. So, in reality, the sway bar acts like a spring for your side to side swaying.

Although, I would disagree on disconnecting completely. IMO this is unsafe in vehicles as top heavy as these unless you REALLY know what you're doing. My suggestion would be to possibly disconnect it for a day and see how much better you like the ride, if that solves it, first check all the bushings, make sure they're not blown. If not, look into finding a smaller Sway Bar. By going to a smaller diameter sway bar, the bar will give more before trying to even out your sides in a swaying motion.

Hope this helps. Also, just for your knowledge, overall, I would agree that the X does ride rougher than some other SUV's, but its also one of the cheapest SUV's (especially compared to a similar Jeep or Yukon), and more importantly, the X is ligheter (especially than the Yukon). Add another ton to your X and I guarantee it will ride smoother (this is what Chevy does with it's Xtreme line of trucks and SUV's, lowered suspension and added weight to make it ride better).

So your saying all this time all I had to do was load up 50 cement bags in the truck and problem solved! :)

Just kidding~

Seriously, I couldn't imagine disconnecting the swaybars and driving over 15mph, I think with the condition of the roads around here I could be swaying side to side my whole 2 hr drive home, and then throwing up!

Tonedog

ToneDog said:
So your saying all this time all I had to do was load up 50 cement bags in the truck and problem solved! :)

Just kidding~

Seriously, I couldn't imagine disconnecting the swaybars and driving over 15mph, I think with the condition of the roads around here I could be swaying side to side my whole 2 hr drive home, and then throwing up!

Tonedog
Actually they aren't sway bars per say. Call them anti-roll bars. They are much like a torsion bar. They connect to the lower points of the suspension. When one side goes into a turn, the bar "twists" and forces the suspension on the other side up. Remember, when you turn left, the body rolls right. The anti-roll bar attemps to keep both sides of the suspension more level with each other to keep the body stable.

If your car is swaying from side to side like a ship, it's your shocks that are too soft, not the bar. The bar prevents body roll from becoming too extreme, but it does not stop it.

And actually, yes, the truck will ride a LOT better with extra weight over the rear axle.

Majisto,

Got what ya mean about the "anti-roll", sounds like any agressive driving w/o them could be hazardous to ones health.

As for the ship side to side, I have that too but have been living with it as I feared changing the shocks would harshen the ride even more.

I think when the time comes and they really need to be done they will have to be the 9000's just because I really feel like every shock out there that is not adjustable is just a gamble on whether or not they will be acceptable. Atleast with the 9000's I have 9 chances to find something I can live with.

Tonedog

ps. I'm off to homedepot! ;-)

It's all about the proportion between handling and ride quality.

:confused: :confused: do you all think that the harsh ride, i HAVE a 2k2 sport, pretty ruff, at times. But dont you think the ride is a little rough because the explorer is just at the hight w/ suspension that your going to get bounced around?? The blazer is at the same height, and bounces you around just as equal,, by the way, I'M thinking of getting a 91 X just for a weekend toy,, for about 1700.00,,, 127K, on it,, I looked on Edmunds and it said it was lower then what should be expected, Is this a good deal?? 4 DOOR XLT,, looks good from the pic. but u never know ... Please let me know what you all think,!!

Tell me about it Hartman! Right now I have neither!

Back