What is this from - Pictures

PLAPELLO

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 & 03 Explorer Sport
Hello all,
I have a quick question here. I did a lot of searching for something on pictures of broken timing chain guide and tensioners. I did find a lot, but, I did not find what I seem to find hanging out in my oil pan.

Can anyone identify what the metal item is on the left? (I do know the piece on the right is a piece from one of the timing guide or tensioners.)

I was hoping it was a support or backing to the weak plastic piece. Or maybe a tensioner coil spring... maybe? (As you can probably tell I have not started this project yet). My Uncle tends to think it is a bearing shell. But I only texted him this picture.

IMAG0127.jpg

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. **If it helps, I have rattle at low idle, but not during cold start when RPM's are higher. Then rattle comes back around the 2500 - 2800 RPM area while driving, but goes away at higher RPM's.

thanks, Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure, but some piece of the timing chain cassette most probably.

Hello all,
I have a quick question here. I did a lot of searching for something on pictures of broken timing chain guide and tensioners. I did find a lot, but, I did not find what I seem to find hanging out in my oil pan.

Can anyone identify what the metal item is on the left? (I do know the piece on the right is a piece from one of the timing guide or tensioners.)

I was hoping it was a support or backing to the weak plastic piece. Or maybe a tensioner coil spring... maybe? (As you can probably tell I have not started this project yet). My Uncle tends to think it is a bearing shell. But I only texted him this picture.

IMAG0127.jpg

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. **If it helps, I have rattle at low idle, but not during cold start when RPM's are higher. Then rattle comes back around the 2500 - 2800 RPM area while driving, but goes away at higher RPM's.

thanks, Phil
I am NOT familiar with the 4. OHC timing pieces. But I can tell you with a certain amount of confidence, that is NOT a bearing shell.

Timing chain tensioner.

thank you all very much. :)

Back