• Register Today It's free!

What is this fuel line???

MarvinM

Reaction score
City, State
Consejo Village, Corozal, Belize
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SportTrac 2WD
I feel like an idiot, although have restored many pre-1970 vehicles. Modern vehicles are not my strong suit.

I have a massive high-pressure fuel leak on the driver's side of my 2002 SportTrac 2WD. How I haven't had a fire is a miracle. The mechanic who rebuilt it apparently laid the fuel line against what I believe is the EGR pipe and it melted through into the line itself. I can't determine how the line comes off the top of the engine. I assume it plugs into the injection system, although I have little experience with EFI. The other end of the hose appears to connect to another hose via a connector at about the driver's side firewall.

Any suggestions on what this part is, how to remove, and how to replace? I've been searching the interwebs half the day and can't find anything useful.

Thanks Much,
MarvinM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures please?

I believe what you are talking about is the section of fuel line that connects to the fuel rail on the driver's side front of the engine. That's a expensive piece of line, $180-$210 were the prices I was quoted from Ford and Tasca when I had an O-ring leak at the fuel injector rail and was told the O-ring was not available separately (ridiculous). I managed to find an O-ring, so didn't need to replace the entire line because of a stinking O-ring.

The fuel rail end is held in place by 2 small bolts at the rail. I don't know if the other end goes all the way to the fuel filter or if there's another connection near the upper control arm. I think there is another connection near the control arm, but not 100% sure.

Tasca Ford was the least expensive source for this line at $180. The Sport Job 2 4.0L may use the same line, so you may be able to find one at the salvage yard for a few bucks.

There is a connection near upper control arm. It is a spring lock coupler and to disconnect you need spring lock decoupling tool. These come in sets, of 6 made from plastic for various sizes. Maybe $7 to $10 for a set.
To repair you will need high pressure hose that fits the steel pipe at fuel rail and spring lock coupler at the other end.
Not a difficult repair once you have parts, and keep it away from egr tube!

If at all possible, I'd avoid repairing this line with rubber fuel line. If you go this route be sure to use FI (fuel injection) fuel line capable of withstanding at least 100 PSI (your fuel system produces 65-67 PSI).

My issue with using rubber line as a fix is not the line, but clamping the line to the metal pipe. If I had to do it, I'd use 2 FI-style clamps in each end of the hose and of course route it away from the EGR and exhaust headers.

I believe what you are talking about is the section of fuel line that connects to the fuel rail on the driver's side front of the engine. That's a expensive piece of line, $180-$210 were the prices I was quoted from Ford and Tasca when I had an O-ring leak at the fuel injector rail and was told the O-ring was not available separately (ridiculous). I managed to find an O-ring, so didn't need to replace the entire line because of a stinking O-ring.

The fuel rail end is held in place by 2 small bolts at the rail. I don't know if the other end goes all the way to the fuel filter or if there's another connection near the upper control arm. I think there is another connection near the control arm, but not 100% sure.

Tasca Ford was the least expensive source for this line at $180. The Sport Job 2 4.0L may use the same line, so you may be able to find one at the salvage yard for a few bucks.

Any idea what this part is called or, wishful thinking, a part number? I couldn't find it on the Tasca parts site. The fact that it's a "dealer part" explains why I can't find anything on the various auto parts sites.

Thanks again,
Robert P.

I don't know what this part is called (forward fuel line maybe?). If you call Tasca's 800 number (have your VIN ready) and have them look it up they can most likely find it on their computer. I know they found it when I was looking for one. 1-800-598-1484

Tip: Whether you go with new or used, be sure to lubricate the O-ring (Valvoline works fine) before inserting it in the fuel rail.

Back