What kind of hitch to get, and can I tow this with a bumper hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of hitch to get, and can I tow this with a bumper hitch?

Ok, so ever since I traded in my Ranger, I really haven't pulled anything because I got the transmission rebuilt a while ago and didn't really want to put to much stress on it being as it has almost 200k miles on it. But I guess I was volunteered to pull a trailer for one of my fiancée's friends, and originally I had wanted to get either a class 4 or 5 hitch before I did any real pulling. But I have pull a 12 foot enclosed trailer this weekend so I am wondering can I pull it on the bumper hitch?

I have a 95 4.0L with 4:10 LS rear end. It has a ball on the bumper hitch, but as of right now I do not have a receiver hitch. What are some recommendations for a good low visibility receiver?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a 6x12 enclosed UHaul (picked it up with a Sequoia ;)) when I moved using my 96 which had only the bumper ball at the time. It did it, but I was not happy with it. When I loaded it, the truck strained to much, and I wound up moving the trailer to an 03 which towed it much better.

Bottom line, if your not going far (less than 5 miles) you're probably ok. If not, you need to put on a reese hitch and be prepared to shell out $1500 in the event that your tranny takes a crap. If your not willing to do so, I'd find another truck, or rent one from Lowes.

I did a 6x12 enclosed UHaul (picked it up with a Sequoia ;)) when I moved using my 96 which had only the bumper ball at the time. It did it, but I was not happy with it. When I loaded it, the truck strained to much, and I wound up moving the trailer to an 03 which towed it much better.

Bottom line, if your not going far (less than 5 miles) you're probably ok. If not, you need to put on a reese hitch and be prepared to shell out $1500 in the event that your tranny takes a crap. If your not willing to do so, I'd find another truck, or rent one from Lowes.

That is exactly what I was thinking, the trip would be about 160 miles round trip, the thing is though that the trailer would be loaded manly with empty dog cages so it would not be a lot of weight, mostly the weight of the trailer is what I am concerned with.

I use to pull our 20 foot inboard boat all the time with my 3.0L Ranger, so I think the Explorer would do better with a lot lighter trailer.

Enclosed Trailers weigh more than I thought and boats weigh less than I thought. You might want to check the weights on both. Either way, you need a receiver hitch.

What is the capacity of the bumper hitch? The trailer is a 6x10 and 1,270lbs.

If i remember right, it was 300lbs tongue and 3500lbs capacity. The Reese hitch is a good idea, taking you to 500lb tongue and 5000lbs capacity. The bumpers are not known for being real solid. My boat is around 1200 and I can tell a definite control difference between a bumper mount and a receiver frame mount. The receiver is four, maybe six bolts to put in, bolts up pretty easy. I did it in 15 min using a jack and jackstands to hold it in place.

Mine was 4 bolts, and 5 minutes to toss on. Best $30 I spent at Weller Auto Parts. Used hitch...

If i remember right, it was 300lbs tongue and 3500lbs capacity. The Reese hitch is a good idea, taking you to 500lb tongue and 5000lbs capacity. The bumpers are not known for being real solid. My boat is around 1200 and I can tell a definite control difference between a bumper mount and a receiver frame mount. The receiver is four, maybe six bolts to put in, bolts up pretty easy. I did it in 15 min using a jack and jackstands to hold it in place.

Thank you for the info. The problem I am having right now is that there is another vehicle that has a receiver hitch (Dodge Durango) but they have never pulled a trailer before (but will not let me drive it).

I think I am just going to take a chance this time and pull the trailer with my Explorer. It seems like from what you were saying that it "should" be more than adequate since the trailer is only going to have empty dog cages in it.

Alright well here is an update:

I ended up pulling a 12x6 enclosed trailer that had a weight of 2,990 lbs... (which was not what I was told) loaded with about 500lbs of equipment (which again is a lot more than originally communicated). But all in all the X pulled her fine, though it was not very happy. I was really surprised about how little jerking happened.

But next time before I pull anything I will get a Class III hitch.

Thanks though for all the info guys!

Back